135 A-Tip terminal performance

unleashed

I know these bullets are fairly new but wondering if anybody has experience with their performance. Looking to take my 260AI elk hunting later this year. My current load has them rolling at 3050 and the accuracy is superb.

I would avoid them. While I haven't seen anything with the 135, a couple of my friends, a buddy and his wife, came out hunting pronghorn with me using the 153 (as well as a .223 for one goat) going around 2940 I believe. They used the rifle for 3 or the 4 pronghorn, and on one of them, the one my buddies wife shot with the rifle, the bullet pin holed in and out, with literally zero expansion. The goat was originally shot around 550 or so yards, we didn't know where it was hit. The goat kept getting up and laying down before we could get another shot on it. Finally, we covered the ground over to it, and put it down with a shot to the neck from around 100 yards. The whole ordeal was 10-15 minutes, and the goat was still very alive. below are the pics of the entrance and exit.
BF0A3A15-9D33-46E6-8434-FAF2E7C650F9.jpeg
14025E4E-5E63-41E6-92B2-5B2B27F743B5.jpeg

When gutted, the lungs had about a 1/2" - 3/4" bruise around where the bullet passed through the lungs, but the lungs were still in tact with only what appeared to be a pencil hole through them. So, I would avoid them, especially where there are so many better bullets available. The other two goats shot, seemed to have decent performance, however at least some bone was hit on both occasions creating secondary projectiles. It was still observed that even though the lungs were somewhat shredded, where the bullet actually passed through, there was very little damage to the lungs. So they may work well, or they may totally fail. I use the 156 EOL in my .260 AI with Reloder 26, going about 2940 fps with a 29" barrel, and they seem to work well after a load of pronghorn from 200 to 600 or so yards, a couple deer at 560 and 940 yards, and two elk at 840 and 860 yards. If you plan on shooting closer ranges for elk, I personally would take a look at the Hammer bullets, Badlands bullets, or possibly a nosler accubond. The Bergers seem to do best for me past about 400 yards. Inside that, they have killed really well for me on smaller animals like pronghorn, but they can be explosive if significant bone is hit. The closest I have used a Berger on a mule deer or an elk is 560 yards.

Last edited:
I would avoid them. While I haven't seen anything with the 135, a couple of my friends, a buddy and his wife, came out hunting pronghorn with me using the 153 (as well as a .223 for one goat) going around 2940 I believe.

I use the 156 EOL in my .260 AI with Reloder 26, going about 2940 fps with a 29" barrel, and they seem to work well after a load of pronghorn from 200 to 600 or so yards, a couple deer at 560 and 940 yards, and two elk at 840 and 860 yards. If you plan on shooting closer ranges for elk, I personally would take a look at the Hammer bullets, Badlands bullets, or possibly a nosler accubond. The Bergers seem to do best for me past about 400 yards. Inside that, they have killed really well for me on smaller animals like pronghorn, but they can be explosive if significant bone is hit. The closest I have used a Berger on a mule deer or an elk is 560 yards.

I was literally doing load development with the 156 and RE26 when this reply came across! Lucky for me my OAL test was a huge success and the rifle shot a .5" group at 270 yards! The seating depth just prior shot an inch so I am super stoked with this load. My load is pushing the 156 at 2870 from a 26" tube. I have a plethora of rifles with different cartridges but the 260AI is by far my favorite.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.