131 Hammer Hunter 7mm-08

Currently sitting at 41.5 grains with no pressure signs. As long as the accuracy stays as it has, I'll probably stay there. Apologies to the OP for the sideline but I think this is pertinent info for the thread.
No apologies needed. Your info is totally relevant as you are discussing the same cartridge and bullet type I listed. Glad it's working for you.

131 HH (133gr, and I don't know why they label like this)
Powder: Varget 42gr
Case: Lapua
Primer: WLR
COAL: 2.610"
Ave MV: 2936
Temp: 35 F.
Ele: 750 Ft
Barrel: 22" 1/9 tw
View attachment 321824
The info says 120gr. Forgot to change to 131gr.

View attachment 321825
Forgot the chrono for this one. I'm thinking 2960fps.

Gonna try 42.8 and see if the group keeps shrinking. No pressure signs yet.
I contacted Hammer and inquired about names and weights not aligning and they said as they continued to develop their product line, the weights became heavier and they did not want to rename the product. Didn't make since to me, I think it makes their product confusing and they should just make the plunge and change name.

They don't get that big in Alabama. A 135 or 140 on the hoof is a monster. Plus 200 pound bucks are also rare. you will hear about230 pound bucks, but when you see the picture you know they are guessing and hoping. Adult does range from 95 to 120 . plus I can kill one every day of the season.
Ya, I was always jealous of that. Nice limits down there.

Varget testing:

Bullet: 131 HH
Powder: Varget @ 42.8gr
COAL: 2.610
MV: 2960fps SD: 5
Temp: 32 F.
Ele: 750ft
Baro: 29.83
Group: 3 shot .190 MOA, 5 Shot .98 MOA
Notes: Sticky bolt lift on 1 round out of 5. Recoil was slightly more. Only achieved a 10fps gain going to 42.8gr, but accuracy was phenomenal!
A5DE7D8C-A2B8-4932-A0FC-8D8429041FA4.jpeg

F727590E-63DB-45E9-98A5-B76ED1B4D096.jpeg

Before starting load development on my 7-08 shooting the 131HH I read on hammers site that they recommend using magnum primers across the board. So I've been using cci250s. Anyone have thoughts on the use of magnum versus standard primers?

Varget testing:

Bullet: 131 HH
Powder: Varget @ 42.8gr
COAL: 2.610
MV: 2960fps SD: 5
Temp: 32 F.
Ele: 750ft
Baro: 29.83
Group: 3 shot .190 MOA, 5 Shot .98 MOA
Notes: Sticky bolt lift on 1 round out of 5. Recoil was slightly more. Only achieved a 10fps gain going to 42.8gr, but accuracy was phenomenal!
View attachment 322715
View attachment 322716
My experience has been the more I up the velocity with the Hammers, the tighter the groups.

I noted that you had one sticky bolt lift out of five shots. In my experience, if I'm not careful to only move the shoulder (headspace) the minimum amount to get smooth bolt closure, then I will get an excessive brass expansion on the next firing of that particular case with a repeating sticky bolt lift. The reason being is that the case was permanently deformed upon firing, as opposed to being elastically (temporarily) deformed to fit the chamber, and it didn't elastically contract for a smooth extraction because the volume of expansion was more than the case could do without permanently deforming.

Let me know if I failed to communicate clearly.

Bottom line: Excessive headspace correction can lead to repeat sticky bolt lifts before you are really hitting a pressure limit.

This is my experience only. Only load to the levels that YOU are comfortable with.

My experience has been the more I up the velocity with the Hammers, the tighter the groups.

I noted that you had one sticky bolt lift out of five shots. In my experience, if I'm not careful to only move the shoulder (headspace) the minimum amount to get smooth bolt closure, then I will get an excessive brass expansion on the next firing of that particular case with a repeating sticky bolt lift. The reason being is that the case was permanently deformed upon firing, as opposed to being elastically (temporarily) deformed to fit the chamber, and it didn't elastically contract for a smooth extraction because the volume of expansion was more than the case could do without permanently deforming.

Let me know if I failed to communicate clearly.

Bottom line: Excessive headspace correction can lead to repeat sticky bolt lifts before you are really hitting a pressure limit.

This is my experience only. Only load to the levels that YOU are comfortable with.
I am sure that one round was all my loading process. I am shooting first time resized, but 1X fired 308 brass and sizing to 7mm. The shoulder angles are a bit rough/rounded angle until I shoot them in the 708. The shoulder angle is more concise/sharper after the 708 firing. I bumped the shoulders of the 308 sized to 7mm brass until they cycled freely. I have no doubts some brass was a bit long, making for a tighter bolt seat. You have a keen understanding of this, thanks for the observation and question!