131 Blackjack bullet experiences

yorke-1

Now that the 131 Blackjack bullet has been around for a while, what's the opinion so far?

I'm bored with my current 7 SAUM and need to repurpose the action for a while as a distraction and I've been considering a 25 PRC since a buddy has an unused reamer sitting in his reamer pile. My concern is that setting up a gun for one specific bullet is always a bit of a gamble.

I think my real concern is the bullet's ability to hold up to high RPMs. I know Blackjack recommends a 7.5" or even 8" twist in the higher velocity chamberings, but I'm curious if anyone is having good luck spinning the bullets over 330K RPMs. If I used a 7" twist, I could still try the 128gr Hammer Hunter, anything slower and it would be either the Blackjack or something in the 115 class if the 131 didn't work out.

Now that the 131 Blackjack bullet has been around for a while, what's the opinion so far?

I'm bored with my current 7 SAUM and need to repurpose the action for a while as a distraction and I've been considering a 25 PRC since a buddy has an unused reamer sitting in his reamer pile. My concern is that setting up a gun for one specific bullet is always a bit of a gamble.

I think my real concern is the bullet's ability to hold up to high RPMs. I know Blackjack recommends a 7.5" or even 8" twist in the higher velocity chamberings, but I'm curious if anyone is having good luck spinning the bullets over 330K RPMs. If I used a 7" twist, I could still try the 128gr Hammer Hunter, anything slower and it would be either the Blackjack or something in the 115 class if the 131 didn't work out.
The 25 sst will run them past 3300' with a 7 twist!

Have you heard about any problems with bullet deformation or accuracy issues at that velocity?

Has anyone tried these for a heart/lung shot? I've saw reports of shoulder shots. I'm just wondering how well they open up?

Has anyone tried these for a heart/lung shot? I've saw reports of shoulder shots. I'm just wondering how well they open up?

Lungs were jelly on 3 different deer from 100 - 450 with a 25-06 AI going 3195. All 3 were dead before they hit the ground. Pass throughs on all 3. Has been very deadly on pigs also. All pigs are ear hole shots no matter the distance. I did have a problem finding a good load with the Black Jacks. I thought I had a finnicky barrel, but after about 250 rounds it finally settled in and some of the charges that were 2 MOA are .75 MOA or better now that the barrel is good and worn in. I was about to completely give up on the Black Jacks but was too hard headed. Every charge I tried with the 115 Berger was MOA or better. I love the Black Jacks now that the gun shoots them. I was ready to rebarrel and change to the 25 Creedmoor if I couldn't get the 25-06 barrel to shoot.

Hopefully, two weeks from today, we might already have a pronghorn on the ground after taking a 131 BJ. With #2 just waiting to be shot. Might be two weeks from tomorrow though....I will let you know how they do.

I do open up the tips of mine w. #60 wire bit. Have shot several coyotes....and dang do they work. I lowered BC down .8% to .3275 G7, and have 1st round hits past 1200.
20191116_135315.jpg

I'm semi-patiently waiting on my 25 cal 7 twist barrel from CarbonSix. Jim See will be building my 25 SST on my Surgeon 591. I have 200 pieces of brass from ADG, 2k blackjack bullets, and 32# of H1000 on hand. I'll be keeping everyone posted. I have no doubt that the 131s will shoot lights out, I even bought a reamer and an extra barrel.
I have an aoudad hunt in Jan and a trip to Alaska above the Artic Circle for caribou next Aug and I'll be shooting that rifle. Along with hogs and deer here in AL, it will get a workout.

I'm semi-patiently waiting on my 25 cal 7 twist barrel from CarbonSix. Jim See will be building my 25 SST on my Surgeon 591. I have 200 pieces of brass from ADG, 2k blackjack bullets, and 32# of H1000 on hand. I'll be keeping everyone posted. I have no doubt that the 131s will shoot lights out, I even bought a reamer and an extra barrel.
I have an aoudad hunt in Jan and a trip to Alaska above the Artic Circle for caribou next Aug and I'll be shooting that rifle. Along with hogs and deer here in AL, it will get a workout.
Sounds like a heck of workout for that rifle. I imagine it will crush it.