130 VLD target vs 130 VLD hunting

peashooter

Has anyone seen a significant ballistic difference between the target and hunting bullets from Berger. I am shooting a 130 gr. from a 260 Rem. The target version does not open on groundhogs. I was wondering if switching to the 130 VLD hunting would remedy this.

Most folks say the Target jacket is thicker & Berger says it, which should be the final authority on the matter.
One foreign site says that's not the case, but I don't know why they insist that.

I would sure like to hear your results if you shoot some with the hunting bullet!

I'm not sure you're going to get any expansion, even with the Hunting VLD, on a groundhog. Too much bullet, to little hollow point and too little meat. It will still kill them, but you probably won't see any expansion. If you want blown up groundhog, either lower your bullet weight or shoot a different point. If you're just shooting them for practice with your big game hunting load, shoot them end-to-end or just don't worry about it.

I used the target VLD because it is all I could find at the time. I understand the target has a heavier jacket, but I was expecting a little expansion from the Bergers. I will continue to use my 243 win shooting 75 gr. vmax as my go to whistlepig rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.