130 VLD Grenade **Graphic Pic**

Limbic

I shot a pretty nice Mississippi Delta buck a week or so ago. 350yards. He fell like a stone but still ran when I got close to him. I would have let him lay for a while but the way he fell I felt sure he was dead. He was going away from me, more than quartering and my call on the wind was off by a few mph. Anyway the entrance hole is impressive. No exit wound but the shot was more parallel to the deer than across it. Zero blood on the ground.
DSC_1304zoom.jpg

260 remington, 130VLD - hunting (I think:rolleyes:) with a stiff load of vv550

DSC_1311.jpg

Last edited:
No I just strung it and caped it out. Then deboned it while it was hanging there. We were at a "duck camp" and really didn't have appropriate skinning facilities. Most of that blood was there when we started caping it out. It was an absolute mess, you are right about that. :D

I did drag it about 100 yards through ankle/calf deep water before I could get a truck near it.

It looks way worse than it is! I used to cut professionally and still do quite a bit and that is mostly seam blood shot which is easily removed without loosing tons of meat! That kinda thing is fairly common when an animal is hit in that area, what makes it so bad is the heart pumps the blood up into the seams and makes it way worse. I had that happen on a cow elk hit about two inches higher with my 270 WSM and an Accubond and she looked just like that from her tail bone to her neck down about 2/3's of the way down, it is messy but the meat is fine if you seam it out.

Well I did train at the Eddybo academy for LRH. I sent you a pic and story but found out today that my friends who don't have iPhones didn't get the message. I call ya later. Did you ever get the barrel off that .50?

Btw the processor said the sausage is already done. 3day turn around!

Barrel off the fifty.......no way. I think it is welded on. I am taking it to Don tomorrow, he will mail it to McMillan so they can pull it.
Come see me sometime.....I have been shooting a ton.

I have seen that same thing happen on deer but not to that extent. I think it occurs when there is a large bloodshot area and that blood seeps into the space beneath the skin. Nice buck, what part of the delta are you hunting? I grew up in the delta but now live in Northeast MS. I will send you a PM

I assume this is the Berger VLD? I was looking at testing this bullet in my new 264, i guess adding 250fps would have made it a real bomb. Guess I will order some 140 VLD's or 130 Accubond!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.