130 Swift Scirocco vs 156 Berger EOL Elite hunter

I hunted with a 26 Nosler - not same but similar cartridge - in Wyoming. I chose the Barnes 127LRX because I wanted the bullet to expand but penetrate. We have engaged deer/antelope in Wyoming at 75 yards to 400 yards. I harvested a deer at 300+ with the 127LRX and it was DRT with complete penetration. I recently purchased Swift Scirocco II 130 and some Hammer 124 to also try in the 26 Nosler. I believe that the terminal performance characteristics are extremely important when selecting the projectile along with the in flight ballistics. Do you want projectile to hold together and penetrate or do you prefer maximum fragmentation?
I agree terminal performance is just as important as accuracy. These deer I shoot have some thick skin, once you cut one open there is tons of jelly and blood(terminal damage) but they barely bleed on the hoof even with a perfect shot and 2 holes. Best to see where they fall and not have to track. I want to say some fragmentation, at least 50% weight retention, would be ok especially at closer ranges but I'd rather have a fat mushroom and an entrance/exit hole

Howdy, a few years back I picked up a 6.5-300 the Meateater model. It's a tack driver with the 130 Scirocco and 127 Lrx in factory ammo. And reloading the Lrx , Easy PEASY,same with 124 HH, 144 Hybrid, are a great choice also. The 156 works, but the mag box length keeps you from getting maximum performance. I like my 6.5-300 a lot and thinking of building a custom with 3.9 mag box. Any one of the bullets mentioned will perform perfectly on any game animal in the lower 48, providing you do your part. Congratulations on getting one of the funniest (cartridge) gun you will ever shoot. đź‘Ť The fat mushroom will come from the Swift and Barnes bullets.

I just ordered some 130 swift to try out. We shall see. Thinking about just re-selling my used brass since I don't reload and ammo is so high for this gun. What's 6.5-300 brass going for these days? And where's a good place to sell? Think I could make at least 50$ back per 20 on the once-shot brass?

I've shot a mountain goat, elk and mule deer with the 130 scirocco. Goat and elk at 100 and the deer around 300. Elk went 100 yards with a heart shot, goat went 25 yards and deer dropped in its tracks with a high shoulder shot. I've shot an elk and antelope with the 156, both at 350 yards. The 156 had two completely different results but both were down. The scirocco was more consistent.

If the scirocco shoots in your gun I'd go with that. I'd not hesitate to shoot the scirocco at 600 if it shoots in your gun.

I'm trying the 143 Norma Bondstrike in Africa in two weeks since I had such good results with the scirocco. I'm hoping it's just a heavier scirocco.

I just ordered some 130 swift to try out. We shall see. Thinking about just re-selling my used brass since I don't reload and ammo is so high for this gun. What's 6.5-300 brass going for these days? And where's a good place to sell? Think I could make at least 50$ back per 20 on the once-shot brass?
I might give you 40.$ per box. I can buy new for 50.

Both of those bullets will kill just fine with your parameters. I've used both in 6.5 and never had an issue with either one. I think the Berger is a better all-around bullet but i like fragmenting. I have seen with the scirocco at high velocities will expand to almost flat and it limits the penetration. Only seen this once out of 7MM. I shot a Coues deer at 650 yds with the 130 scirocco and it expanded and killed fine. I have shot a lot of deer, elk, oryx, bear and with the elite hunters. The elites are my go-to bullet for all calibers now.

Here is what I got typing the 2 rounds into my calculator with the same wind/conditions at 500 yards:

The 156:
View attachment 468409

The 130:
View attachment 468410

About 1", not too big of a difference. I'll need to check multiple wind speeds to confirm, but it seems like they both perform about the same as far as wind drift. Since wind drift is close to the same, the bigger question to me would be: which groups better out of this particular gun? and which does the most damage to a deer anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards?
At 500 yes but at 500+ we can only imagine how far you'll be shooting. At 700 yards and out your gunna really see the 156 wind drift, or lack there of, come into play. At 500 I agree it's virtually identical.

W
Just picked up a 6.5-300 weatherby vanguard and was wondering, what's everyone's experience with factory ammo? I would buy a box of each to test out but it seems like a waste since they're 100$ per box. I will be hunting deer with it out to 500+ yards and winds usually 10-20 mph which is why I chose the 2 factory loads with the highest b/c. Could also have shots up close too, it's 50/50 where I hunt. Any 6.5-300 owners with experience with these 2 factory loads, how did they compare for you? Does the 1:8 twist vanguard prefer the heavier 156 or the lighter 130?
Thanks
Not 6.5-300 WBY, but check out the similar threads below on 156 Berger's successful performances on various ranges and games.

Yea I should have been more clear, as of now 500 is about the max distance I would have to shoot. And it's close to the max I feel comfortable taking an ethical shot, possibly would stretch it to 6-700 if conditions are just right that's why I said 500+ if that makes sense
If your only comfortable taking an ethical shot at 500 yards then the conditions will never prevail for a 6-700 yard shot. You owe it to the animal for a clean instantly lethal harvest regardless of the bullet. I'd pick the bullet that shoots the best out of your rifle and practice with it out to your max distance. I have a max distance and beyond that max practiced distance is a no-no as it's a guessing game if you haven't practice at that range.

Gentlemen ,l Please allow this !! I shot my .270 Weather Mag at a Long-Range school. One year I used the 150 Grn Nosler ABLR with a G1 BC of .591, at 3000 fps, and I hit every target at every range to 1200 yards with very few misses. It was a clam day and the instructor was calling the wind. I to 2 Min wind hold on average. The next year I shot the same rifle , at the same school, with the 130 Grn Ballistic tips, G1 BC .4XX at 3300fps, and it was VERY windy. I missed most of the targets, due to lack of correct wind hold. Extremely difficult to hit even with 10 to 12 min Wind Hold. My take a way is the heavier projectile you have ( 156 grn) with the higher BC , is better in the wind at longer ranges, than the lighter bullet. At least it was for me. Just my 2 cents. By the way, the shooter to hit the most targets , on that windy day, with the least misses, was the shooter who was using a Custom Precision Rifle, in 300 PRC, with bullets in the 212/220-gran range.

If your only comfortable taking an ethical shot at 500 yards then the conditions will never prevail for a 6-700 yard shot. You owe it to the animal for a clean instantly lethal harvest regardless of the bullet. I'd pick the bullet that shoots the best out of your rifle and practice with it out to your max distance. I have a max distance and beyond that max practiced distance is a no-no as it's a guessing game if you haven't practice at that range.
I only have about a max 500 yard shot available where I hunt, but 700 is my max I feel comfortable with and that is only if I'm able to practice it a bit more this off-season with this new gun as I'm not used to it yet. Haven't even broken it in. I'd never take a shot if I wasn't confident it would be a clean kill, learned that patience from bow hunting and having critters get away wounded from forcing a shot.

Here is what I got typing the 2 rounds into my calculator with the same wind/conditions at 500 yards:

The 156:
View attachment 468409

The 130:
View attachment 468410

About 1", not too big of a difference. I'll need to check multiple wind speeds to confirm, but it seems like they both perform about the same as far as wind drift. Since wind drift is close to the same, the bigger question to me would be: which groups better out of this particular gun? and which does the most damage to a deer anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards?
Hey man...don't be coming around here with all these facts and blow someone's opinion outa' the water!