130 Swift Scirocco vs 156 Berger EOL Elite hunter

treyboy7

Just picked up a 6.5-300 weatherby vanguard and was wondering, what's everyone's experience with factory ammo? I would buy a box of each to test out but it seems like a waste since they're 100$ per box. I will be hunting deer with it out to 500+ yards and winds usually 10-20 mph which is why I chose the 2 factory loads with the highest b/c. Could also have shots up close too, it's 50/50 where I hunt. Any 6.5-300 owners with experience with these 2 factory loads, how did they compare for you? Does the 1:8 twist vanguard prefer the heavier 156 or the lighter 130?
Thanks

Long range with wind would make me want to shoot the 156gr EOL.

For 500+ definitely the 156's. Wind is your biggest obstacle.

Here is what I got typing the 2 rounds into my calculator with the same wind/conditions at 500 yards:

The 156:
1A7467F0-7560-4AFF-8529-5AA9124348EE.png

The 130:
F01323E9-6A5F-45D6-9C51-1B7C7C36C429.png

About 1", not too big of a difference. I'll need to check multiple wind speeds to confirm, but it seems like they both perform about the same as far as wind drift. Since wind drift is close to the same, the bigger question to me would be: which groups better out of this particular gun? and which does the most damage to a deer anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards?

Here is what I got typing the 2 rounds into my calculator with the same wind/conditions at 500 yards:

The 156:
View attachment 468409

The 130:
View attachment 468410

About 1", not too big of a difference. I'll need to check multiple wind speeds to confirm, but it seems like they both perform about the same as far as wind drift. Since wind drift is close to the same, the bigger question to me would be: which groups better out of this particular gun? and which does the most damage to a deer anywhere from 10 yards to 600 yards?
Watched some ballistics gel testing on the 156 Berger and 130 scirocco out of a 6.5 creed and at close range the 156 only retained about half its weight. This is fine out of the creed, however I'm worried that if I shoot it out of the 6.5-300 at 500 fps faster it will disintegrate. The 130 scirocco maintained most of its weight and mushroomed perfectly. I guess at longer ranges the 156 would be the perfect amount of devastation. But out of the 6.5-300 I would say the 130 scirocco would do pretty good as well, considering it's still going 2500 fps at 500 yards. For these reasons I was more leaning towards the 130 scirocco, if they group about the same. But if the Berger 156 groups better for people with this gun, how does it perform on deer at close range?

While I agree that $109.99/box (20) is a little over the top when it comes to testing, there are other sources which carry this ammunition in both bullets for less money:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/type/ammo+&+storage/caliber/10001941-6.5-300+weatherby

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/6-5-300-weatherby-magnum-ammo/

I did find one extremely affordable $75/box for these two bullets but shipping took it right back up to the $100/box mark.:mad:

We were testing the 156 Bergers a few of years ago. Hunting with the .264 Win. Mag., 6.5x284 and the 6.5 SAUM we witnessed poor performance from 3-600 yards when loading the 156 Berger.

The Sciroccos performed much better, book-like mushrooms and there were some pass through with weight retention near 90% when recovered.

My favorites to date though in the 6.5-300 is the Hornady 153 A-Tip and the Badlands 135 Super BD2.

Every rifle is different, shoot the one that works the best out of the rifle and then worry about the rest after that. A wise man once told me " do you think a deer gives a crap if it just for hit with a 168 or a 195? It only knows that it just got shot..." If they both shoot well, go towards the 156's.

I hunted with a 26 Nosler - not same but similar cartridge - in Wyoming. I chose the Barnes 127LRX because I wanted the bullet to expand but penetrate. We have engaged deer/antelope in Wyoming at 75 yards to 400 yards. I harvested a deer at 300+ with the 127LRX and it was DRT with complete penetration. I recently purchased Swift Scirocco II 130 and some Hammer 124 to also try in the 26 Nosler. I believe that the terminal performance characteristics are extremely important when selecting the projectile along with the in flight ballistics. Do you want projectile to hold together and penetrate or do you prefer maximum fragmentation?

If you are only hunting to 500, then either is probably fine. In your first post you said 500+. At longer ranges I bet the difference starts to become more apparent in wind drift, drops, and energy.
Yea I should have been more clear, as of now 500 is about the max distance I would have to shoot. And it's close to the max I feel comfortable taking an ethical shot, possibly would stretch it to 6-700 if conditions are just right that's why I said 500+ if that makes sense

While I agree that $109.99/box (20) is a little over the top when it comes to testing, there are other sources which carry this ammunition in both bullets for less money:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/search.php/type/ammo+&+storage/caliber/10001941-6.5-300+weatherby

https://vizardsgunsandammo.com/ammunition/rifle-ammo/6-5-300-weatherby-magnum-ammo/

I did find one extremely affordable $75/box for these two bullets but shipping took it right back up to the $100/box mark.:mad:

We were testing the 156 Bergers a few of years ago. Hunting with the .264 Win. Mag., 6.5x284 and the 6.5 SAUM we witnessed poor performance from 3-600 yards when loading the 156 Berger.

The Sciroccos performed much better, book-like mushrooms and there were some pass through with weight retention near 90% when recovered.

My favorites to date though in the 6.5-300 is the Hornady 153 A-Tip and the Badlands 135 Super BD2.
I wish they had a "test box" where you could mix a few different rounds and see which one your gun likes best.

Every rifle is different, shoot the one that works the best out of the rifle and then worry about the rest after that. A wise man once told me " do you think a deer gives a crap if it just for hit with a 168 or a 195? It only knows that it just got shot..." If they both shoot well, go towards the 156's.
I was trying to see what everyone's experience was who has shot this model with each ammo choice first before buying a box to test out. Since ammo is 100$ per box for this gun I'd rather try what the rifle trends towards first. Less of a chance of having to waste a 100$ box that doesn't perform as good.

I was trying to see what everyone's experience was who has shot this model with each ammo choice first before buying a box to test out. Since ammo is 100$ per box for this gun I'd rather try what the rifle trends towards first. Less of a chance of having to waste a 100$ box that doesn't perform as good.
Again, do you want penetration or fragmentation - the two bullets you are asking about are different terminal performance design.