130 or 140 Bergers for 6.5x284?

yote doctor

Gonna be getting my new rifle anytime now and trying to figure out which Bergers to buy. I will be using this setup for hunting and targets out to 1000 if i can see that far.:D I know someone has info for me. Thanks Guys!

Gonna be getting my new rifle anytime now and trying to figure out which Bergers to buy. I will be using this setup for hunting and targets out to 1000 if i can see that far.:D I know someone has info for me. Thanks Guys!

The first question to ask is what twist is your rifle? If you don't have at least an 8 1/2 twist, you probably will need to shoot the 130's. If you have an 8 or 8 1/2, you will likely be better off for hunting or long range target with the 140's. Bottom line is test and see what your rifle likes......Rich

I shoot a .260AI that is getting velocities similar to the 6.5-284. I have done some testing with both the Berger 130s and 140s and as it turns out so far they are shooting almost equally as good. I am leaning slightly to the 140s right now because I am playing at longer distances at the moment, I will be testing the 130s at further distances soon.
Ivo

If the rifle will stabilize them, I'd try the 140's first. They shoot great out of my 6.5-284 at about 2900 fps. Shot a 2 1/2" group at 510 yds. yesterday. But, I'd shoot whatever shot best in my rifle.

Just in from the range this evening after testing some 140 VLD's @ 100 yrds with Reloader 17 powder, CCI Bench Rest LR Primers, Winchester Super 6.5 X .284 Brass neck turned and bullet seated out to the lands.
I tested 48 grains, 49 grains, 50 grains and 51 grains of powder five rounds each. The best group and data was for the 50 grains which produced an average velocity of 3102fps and a SD of 14.5 and ES of 38.6 all five holes touching in a .5 inch moa group.
The gun is a Kelby-Stolle Panda action with a 30" Pac Nor 1-8 twist barrel in SS Palma contour.
This represents at least 200 fps above my pet load of 49.6 grains of VV N160 with no pressure signs or sticky bolt on extraction.
Get some 140's for your 6.5 and some RL 17 and work up a load that will easily reach 1000 with oooooph.....

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.