130 Absolute Hammer in 280AI

nso123

I have a 10 twist 280AI that I am trying the 130 Absolute Hammer in. Does anyone have any experience with this combination and have some load recommendations? I looked at the AH data thread and there is nothing listed, and I didn't get any recommendations on the Hammer Time forum either.

First check and confirm your twist is correct.
You can start with 140 Absolute data and expect to go up in charge.

H100V and 4350 seem preferred.
Please post your results for others.

First check and confirm your twist is correct.
You can start with 140 Absolute data and expect to go up in charge.

H100V and 4350 seem preferred.
Please post your results for others.
Thanks. I have measured the twist, and it is right at 9.5-10. I have some 4350 that was going to be my next test load. I will report back.

C1306C06-AF96-4427-BD14-93EC070C6688.jpeg

Hodgdon has data for 130's. This is a starting point. If you have time, resources and powder. You can experiment with other powders.

Hodgdon has data for 130's. This is a starting point. If you have time, resources and powder. You can experiment with other powders.
Thank you. I had looked at the Hodgdon data. I just hate to waste time and components when there might already be something out there. I think I have a good starting point now.

BLC-2 was the fastest powder for my .264 123hr Absolute Hunter. I tested 5 different powders faster and slower. Surprisingly a slow burning powder was the next fastest with Varget landing in the middle.

On the burn rate chart Varget and BLC-2 are side by side. Yet BLC-2 out performed it by almost 200 FPS. I believe it has to do with spherical/ball versus extruded/stick powder.

BLC-2 was the fastest powder for my .264 123hr Absolute Hunter. I tested 5 different powders faster and slower. Surprisingly a slow burning powder was the next fastest with Varget landing in the middle.

On the burn rate chart Varget and BLC-2 are side by side. Yet BLC-2 out performed it by almost 200 FPS. I believe it has to do with spherical/ball versus extruded/stick powder.
You may be onto something. In my 6CM the spherical powders have gotten much higher velocity. We will see where this goes.

I think you are correct in your hypothesis about ball powder. I have just come to expect ball powder to produce more velocity. AA2520 vs Varget was the last comparison in a 35 Rem and AA2520 was 90fps faster with less pressure sign. The downfall, however, is the variations in velocity with temperature swings. I try to load develop everything in the summer temps, but especially the ball powders because the pressure spike with hotter temps can come quick. If I am stuck winter load developing I keep the rounds warm against my body until I chamber.

Recent Posts