12GA Rounds for Grizz?

I have read a bunch of these replies and all I would say is how many people with advice have actually squeezed the fun flipper on a griz?

I have heard that one will shoot a lot more #8 at griz then 00 or slugs. Keep some in your pocket!

If It gets real my opinion is that gun is for defense I would rather have a 6" to 2' or 3' wall of heat then a .69" single projectile.

They are not AR500.
Chances are if you need that protection it is chewing on you!

I haven't actually squeezed the flipper, but I bow hunted moose hunted in Alaska, saw many Grizzlys, and when we had a moose down the 7mm Rem Mag, and 44 mag pistols we had for back up felt very very inadequate in the 8' tall brush that completely surrounded us......I'd stand by choice, although maybe I'd follow the Tungsten buckshot advice after I play with it!

I'm not going to read through all this but i will say that you will likely only get one shot. I would NEVER trust buckshot to penetrate a bear. I've seen it fail miserably. I've killed 4 bears in DLP situations in Alaska. 3 with slugs, one with a rifle.

There is one exception to this rule. Dead Coyote 00 buck will penetrate almost anything. The tungsten stuff is amazing. $10/ round but for bear protection it's probably as good as you'll get from a scatter gun

This is a 3" magnum 1 oz slug i pulled out of a boar in the Brooks range. I believe it was a Winchester load

Attachments

• 20170722_132157.jpg
    20170722_132157.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 65
I'm not going to read through all this but i will say that you will likely only get one shot. I would NEVER trust buckshot to penetrate a bear. I've seen it fail miserably. I've killed 4 bears in DLP situations in Alaska. 3 with slugs, one with a rifle.
Agree!

The heaviest magnum rifled slugs you can find.

I shot a bunch of Winchester rifled slugs and Remington as well over the years at big hogs and they were devastatingly effective.

Penetration is the key and small projectiles even the size of 00 Buck will give you very limited penetration.
Yes like my old mag 10 with the 20" deer barrel.

I know for sure that I cannot kill a brown bear, griz using a shotgun firing from Arizona. And that's the way its gonna stay!
If you go to Montana, Wyoming, and I think Idaho, you could run into grizzly. In a few other states in the lower 48 states. Everytime they move Grizzly around, or ask for suggestion. I tell them to share the wealth by moving them into California, Washington, a couple of other states. It would be nice to have some a couple of national parks in Mexico-North (aka Calif).

Ya you'd have to use river rock for the bear skull comparison. Lead pellets ricochet off river rock. All I know is if a brown bear is charging you, better have on some real good soled boots with exceptional traction. You'll be leaking pretty bad from the backside and will need good traction when running on all that leakage.
After plowing through 13 screens not one has quoted this old joke so I will:
Don't need to be faster then the bear, just faster than your shooting buddy.

Well that aside, I lived, hunted and fished in AK for three years and happily never had the experience of jumping a coastal grizzly. However, I was visiting somewhere on the Aleutian peninsula and driving a truck along a dirt road. Saw something moving on a nearby hill. Started driving toward it. "It" backed out of the hole it was digging and stood up on its hind legs. Swear to g-d it must have been 10 ft tall. Did not bother to measure it, but turned around the truck and made dust. That puppy could have opened the truck up like I could open an oyster. I did not want to be 'its' oyster. Don't know what I would do if that guy was only 5 to 10 yards away and huffing/charging.
Do 'love' the armchair suggestions of 22's, shoot the legs, blind it with birdshot, etc. When you see one up close and personal your opinions may change.DSC01174.JPG

Well that aside, I lived, hunted and fished in AK for three years and happily never had the experience of jumping a coastal grizzly. However, I was visiting somewhere on the Aleutian peninsula and driving a truck along a dirt road. Saw something moving on a nearby hill. Started driving toward it. "It" backed out of the hole it was digging and stood up on its hind legs. Swear to g-d it must have been 10 ft tall. Did not bother to measure it, but turned around the truck and made dust. That puppy could have opened the truck up like I could open an oyster. I did not want to be 'its' oyster. Don't know what I would do if that guy was only 5 to 10 yards away and huffing/charging.
Do 'love' the armchair suggestions of 22's, shoot the legs, blind it with birdshot, etc. When you see one up close and personal your opinions may change.View attachment 367920
The .22 short works perfectly for me, I just pop one round in my hunting partners foot then even a fat old man is easily fast enough. Just out of curiosity how long does it take for a Grizzly to eat a people?

Do 'love' the armchair suggestions of 22's, shoot the legs, blind it with birdshot, etc. When you see one up close and personal your opinions may change.View attachment 367920
Bear's thought......Hmmm, SPAM in a can delivery..........LUNCH TIME!!!! :) :) :)

Hey guys, we have a long hunt in the heart of grizzly territory this year in Wyoming (archery)

We will have the call guy carry the short shotgun for defense in the timber.

Curious what rounds everyone uses or suggests would be the best? Slugs? Buck?

Thanks!
When i guided in NW BC i carried a marlin 45 70 saved mine and my hunters life once on a griz hunt ill never patt with that rifle. As to your question if all i had was a 12ga id be loading it with slugs