12BVSS in 223 Range Report

teddy12b

I'm not sure if I posted this in the correct place or not so feel free to move it if I goofed up.

Last weekend I went to a new range with steel targets. I went to dial in my scope at different distances and I did just that. I was shooting 69gr matchkings over 24.5 of varget and I was very happy with the results. I didn't have time to measure my groups or the ability to since it was dented steel so no fancy little fraction to give everyone.

Instead I'll say this, the rifle hit exactly where I aimed out to 600 yards. Before today I never shot at a distance greater than 300 yards. I spent a lot of time making elevation adjustments with the scope, but when I got there, the rifle was on. I feel like I could hit a watermelon/groundhog sized target fairly easily at 600 yards. I shot at 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards today and I have never had so much fun. The steel had hit marks right next to each other all the way out to 600 yards. I would have shot farther, but I ran out of ammo and daylight. I wish I could say it was me, but it's the gun. There was no wind either so that may have played a part in it too.

My rifle is 100% straight from the factory. I have a dednutz mount on it with a Nikon Buckmaster 6-18 scope.
modify_inline.gif

I really like this gun! :D

Teddy could you tell me what seating depth you are using? And how does it group at a 100yds? Sounds like you have a good load. FPS??
Thanks James

Savage rifles are junk. They have crappy bolts, look ugly have crappy stocks and are junk. That is what a guy at the range last year told my buddy who has the same rifle as you do. Well after shooting some groups the guy who was telling him that said well lets walk down and see what that 500.00 piece of crap of yours did. I wonder if it will be under 3MOA. well we walked down and the guy (how owned a Kimber that was tricked out) got to the 200yrd target he just about fell over. My budy shot two 5 shot groups that were .550 and .500. the guy with the kimber had .80 inch groups. He sure was ****ed. My buddy just looked at him and said. " Savage's may not be pretty, dont have a glass smooth action but **** they shoot good! He asked the guy how much he paid for his Kimber and he muttered way to much. He let the guy shoot and and after checking the target said "thats the best shooting piece of scrap metal i have ever shot, That thing sure shoots!!" Savage may never win a beauty contest but they are some of the best shooters at any price. I pick up my 12FLV on Saturday!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.