1275 coyote with the old with 215 bergers

308winlongrange

Last night just before 5 pm my wife were setting on top of one of the hilltops that we usually call coyotes from at about 2 minutes into our calling sequence my wife asked what that moving in the dry lake bed below us was she picked up the bumps to see a coyote coming straight twards us at a meandering pace I stopes the calling sequence and picked up my bushnell elite 1600 arc range finder and got a feedback on a bush about 200 yards closer than the coyote I got down prone with my 700 rem threw in a 215 berger loaded with 47.5 gr of re17 dialed up 14.9 mills n elevation and .y mils wind then waited for the old songdog to get to my ranged bush as he passed about 20 yards from the bush I held low about .25 mils and squeased my 8oz jewell trigger at the shot I was able to recover just in time to see the yote drop and flop 3 or 4 times after driving down my wife and I discover the bullet had entered just above the nose and exited the stomach with about a 4" exit wound I continue to be blown away with the accuracy of the 215 bergers out of a 308 winchester

Its crazy to think but with the high bc the 215 bergers had almost 3.2 mils less drop than the old 175 match kings driven 126 fps faster at that distance I will never go back hey jeff do u know of any place where I can get more I only have about 300 left and I want to stock up this is now the only round my custom 700 will ever see from now on

Awesome shooting! What was approximate impact velocity? Gotta be somewhere around 1250-1300 fps.

Its crazy to think but with the high bc the 215 bergers had almost 3.2 mils less drop than the old 175 match kings driven 126 fps faster at that distance I will never go back hey jeff do u know of any place where I can get more I only have about 300 left and I want to stock up this is now the only round my custom 700 will ever see from now on

I do not, but I will be grabbing some more too when they come back. How about the way they do in the wind. Our 2012 season was a one and done deal with this bullet.

velocity is right at 1268

And expands on yotes!! I got a pass through with expansion on an antelope at 1285 too. Pretty darn good long range bullet I say. I just need to find a wolf for my next test...gun)

Jeff

O haha it didn't get my wind dope in there I had an 8 mph wind 90 degrees from left to right and only dialed 1.6 with the 175 at 1000 and a 7 mph wind at 90 degrees I was dialing almost 2x as much I have never seen a bullet buck wind as good as these at this velocity it is not only less dialing but if u get a good wind reading and punch in what applied ballistics tells u to it either hits what you are aiming at or u hit way too far in the direction that the wind is blowing bc you are in the hype of the moment and crank the dial the wrong way guilty as charged but if you do ur part these bullets WILL do theirs consistently each and every time

Holy crap!! and you had an 8 mph full value wind. I bow to you Sir!!

I think Berger nailed the BC on these with the .696 At least they work their for me even at a mile. Sure made my 300 win a contender at a mile. Good thing since I am with out a 338 right now.:D

Jeff

I wouldn't bow to me I would bow to brian litz without his applied ballistics program and his amazing bullets I would never have even tried a shot with that wind I litterly only put the dope on the scope and squeased the trigger the only thing I give myself credit for is knowing to hold a slight but low to make up for tof and a good guess at how fast that tote was coming at me anyone can shoot accurately with a stupid accurate gun amazing bullets and a ballistic program that is spot on

And expands on yotes!! I got a pass through with expansion on an antelope at 1285 too. Pretty darn good long range bullet I say. I just need to find a wolf for my next test...gun)

Jeff
I am not sure they are expanding, i think they are more than likely tumbling after impact, they kill either way. And BTW this comment is not meant to start an argument.

Riley

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.