1275 coyote with the old with 215 bergers

I am not sure they are expanding, i think they are more than likely tumbling after impact, they kill either way. And BTW this comment is not meant to start an argument.

Riley

That could be Riley but don't think so. He is getting 4" exits and this is consistent with the other yote he took at very long range. I would think there will be bullet fragments. I know my antelope at 1285 there were but that was at a higher velocity. I just think they are opening as I know what it looks like behind the hollow point. Large void on the 215's.

Hey 308 win, what do you think? Any fragments near the exit?

Jeff

I am sure that the bullet expanded on your speed goat because impact velocity was 1600 something right? And ive seen a couple pics of a sectioned 215 and yes that is a huge void. But at 1250 fps i doubt it. A sideways bullet will leave a disportionate to size/caliber wound channel. Also Jeff i will see if i can convince my Dad to make a trip out to your neck of the woods to do some shooting if you dont mind :). I think i need a little help with my form, follow through, and breathing. gun)

Riley

But at 1250 fps i doubt it. A sideways bullet will leave a disportionate to size/caliber wound channel.
Riley

Riley, just wondering what you base this statement on as far as first hand data. Have you been able to reproduce a tumbling bullet? Do you have any wound channel or exit pics from tumbling bullets on game? Was the tumbling bullet indeed a Berger? I have shot quite a few Bergers and never captured a tumbling bullet or have never actually been able to prove any did indeed tumble. I have only found this theory to be what some people "think happened" on the net. I would love to see some actual real world field results. The only pics I have seen was a none expanded bullet that was bent some and some suggested it could have tumbled. But the complaints from the shooter was small wound channel. This is why I wonder how you know this?

Thanks!

Jeff

hey first yes on the first yote i took at 1107 i did find many fragments inside the dog when i opened him up there is no doubt in my mind that the bullet was more or less blowing apart even at that low of speeds the second yote at 1275 i only found two little chunks of copper about 1/8 inch wide and 1/4 inch long mabie smaller but enough to confirm that the bullet is expanding for my set up i am shooting a rem 700 action trued bolt badger recoil lug 22.85" shillen select match barrel with 1/10 twist sniper central 45moa steel base and badger rings with a weaver 3-15x50 emdr with 100 moa adjustment but it is a mil/mil scope i have a true 31.2 mils of adjustment with a 200 yard zero i actually have 30.4 mils of actual adjustment setting on top the 45moa rail to the person who asked if i when i got back from taliban land i arived back stateside on the 4th i am pushing the 215 bergers in winchester once fired brass over 47 gr of reloder 17 with stupid accuracy at all distances also i have pushed these little guys with the same load through my bone stock 700 sps tactical with a little bushnell elite 3200 10x40 with suprizing results for a stock rifle i have shot 8 inch groups at 965 with no wind in the stock rifle

Correction I believe I ended up with 48.5 gr of re17 have to check when I get home sorry bout the confusion and my gun is nestled tightly into a mcmillan a1 stock

Jeff, I dont have any first hand data but the effects of a tumbling bullet are heavily documented by the military. Mostly on the 62 grain fmj's shot from the 5.56 and the SMK (dont recall the weight) shot from the 308 winchester. I will do some searching and post some links to some of the data on tumbling bullets.

But because 308winlongrange found fragment in the yote that disproves my theory about the 215 grain hybrid not expanding and only tumbling. It could be possible that the fragment he found was from the tip of the bullet that blew off much like in Rich's (elkaholic) tests. I will do some searching and post some links to

Riley

Jeff, I dont have any first hand data

Ok Thanks Riley. No need to post links for me. I have seen some of what you are referring to. Mostly about tumbling before entry.

As for the small pieces being from the tip like Rich's did. It is my opinion that was due to being pressurized and blown off from the water. But either way a 4" exit is a 4" exit and this was at a very low velocity. I just don't feel a non-expanding bullet, even if tumbling would make a 4" exit.

None the less I think we owe it to the OP to stop the hijack of his thread.

.308win, to take 2 yotes with a combined yardage of 2382 yards, 1.35 miles. Is something to be proud of. I took one at 1200 and another at 1156. I know what those little suckers look like in the scope at that distance and how the trigger needs to be broke to make a connection. Great shooting man.gun)

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.