1263 Yard Rockchuck

tt35

My nephew took a rockchuck at 1264 yards yesterday.

Here's the pic. (Red arrow shows the location of the rockchuck.)
GusChuck14.jpg

And, now the story.

It's getting close to the time our rockchucks will be going down for the year so I wanted to make a hunt this week. My son, Ben, is out of town visiting his brother so I asked my nephew, Gus, if he wanted to go along. He was game so we headed out to try to get to a promising looking canyon I'd seen while Ben and I were hunting last week. The road was horrible but we eventually made it to within a short hike of the canyon.

We set up on one rim of the canyon and began glassing. Eventually I spotted a couple of rockchucks beyond the far rim of the canyon standing up in the grass. They offered good shots but poor spotting. Gus ranged the area with his Leica 1200 at around 1250 yards. He only had ten rounds of ammo for his .308 with him. He told me that the previous two rounds had scored on two sage rats and one bear and he wanted to keep his string going. I suggested that if that was the case, he probably wouldn't want to start shooting at 1200 yard rockchucks. Being the sensible young man that he is, he decided he might as well take a poke at them anyway.

Gus had not shot the particular load he was using past 500 yards and the longest kill he'd made with the gun previously was around 550 yards on a prairie dog on our Wyoming trip two summers ago. With no drop chart we just discussed things and took a guess based on my drops. I told him to dial in 48 minutes of angle elevation and five MOA of wind. I told him I hoped I could see his shot in the field of view of my spotting scope which didn't instill a lot of confidence in him concerning our dope.

Shooting location.
Coast2011022.jpg

Gus shoots a Remington 700 SPS in a B&C stock (I think) with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X scope. It definitely wasn't too much magnification for the situation! He told me later that the horizontal crosshair was covering the whole 'chuck. He dialed up, settled behind the rifle and squeezed off the shot. I was actually able to call the shot. It was within about one minute on windage and several feet low. I told him to take one minute of wind out and come up another six MOA. That got us in the ball park on the next shot and he ended up with 58 1/4 minutes of elevation in the scope and three minutes of wind.

The shots from that point on were all very close. He was close enough that he was scaring the rockchucks off with each shot and we'd have to wait to find another in a position where I could spot the shot before he could loose another round. Long story short, on round number seven I saw no dust and the rockchuck took off like a scalded cat across the rocks and onto an angled face of a ledge where it launched itself into the air off a 40 foot cliff! We could see it wasn't running correctly but didn't know whether Gus had just hit it in the leg or what. He felt good enough about it to want to go check. I on the other hand wasn't nearly as excited.

One challenge of long range shooting is the retrieval. This 'chuck was a long ways away and across the canyon and, because of the rimrock, I didn't know how far we'd have to go just to get to the bottom of the canyon which happened to have a good sized stream running through it. But, being the good uncle I am, I went along. It took us over a half mile and one very large rattle snake to get to a spot we could descend into the canyon. When we got to the stream, the run-off made it more like a small river and that was where the whole Good Uncle thing gave out. :)

Gus stripped down to his skivvies and carried his pants and shoes across the swollen creek. I didn't know if he was going to be able to stay upright in the current but he's shaped like Gumby so he doesn't displace lot of water. :) He made it out, got dressed and headed up the other side of the canyon. I watched through the spotting scope as he climbed up to the bottom of the bluff and a minute or so later he was holding up his 1264 yard rockchuck! Turned out to be a centermass hit with close to a one inch exit. I think the rockchuck was dead before he hit the ground.

Gus refording the creek with his trophy.
Coast2011014.jpg

It took nearly three hours to get to the 'chuck and make it back to our shooting location where we finished the "photo shoot".

Gus is really looking forward to rubbing his new record in his cousin's face. Ben had pretty well stopped reaching out past about 1100 yards thinking his family record was safe. I can already envision Ben's drive to move beyond 1264 yards. He's got his work cut out for him but somehow I think he's up to the task!

I never fired a shot but it was good day with a good kid and and one exceptional shot.

Tim

I really like reading stories of young shooters doing some awsome shooting. Granted, I'm only 35 but it is neat that there are young people getting into hunting and shooting.

tt35 I have a few questions. Are what you call rockchucks the same as what we call groundhogs or what other people call them woodchucks? I live in Ohio so that is why I'm asking. Other question, you say the rockchucks will be going down soon, is that for hibernation? Our groundhogs will still be out until it gets cold.

Keep up the good posts.

Jason

Thanks a lot! It was a pretty incredible shot!

Cornchuck: Yeah, rockchucks are the western equivalent of your woodchucks. They are somewhat different in their habits. Our rockchucks will start to go down in July. I think it coincides with the cheatgrass turning brown. If I remember from my high school biology correctly, its called a summer quiescence. I understand that they may come back up in the Fall for a short period before winter hibernation.

ICANHITHIMMAN: Gus was shooting a 175 gr SMK from his .308. He said it was leaving the muzzle at around 2700 but I'm not sure if he actually chronographed it or not. WW cases, Fed 210 primer and I think he's shooting IMR4895 but I'm not positive. His data is in my reloading room but I haven't looked at it.

tt

Rifleshooter: If by "mad" you mean "crazy", yeah he might be crazy but he knew what he was in for. Someone descibed him as "young and energetic". I think that's pretty accurate! And, yeah, we're blessed with some great country to hunt but even here its sometimes difficult to find places to shoot that far.

Rifleshooter: If by "mad" you mean "crazy", yeah he might be crazy but he knew what he was in for. Someone descibed him as "young and energetic". I think that's pretty accurate! And, yeah, we're blessed with some great country to hunt but even here its sometimes difficult to find places to shoot that far.

tt35 please dont take the mad bit the wrong way over here it would be seen as someone realy keen in what they are doing,i would probably do the same thing after pulling a shot of like that so if i have put it in the wrong context i apologise

Thanks again, guys. It was definitrely a memorable day.

tt35 please dont take the mad bit the wrong way over here it would be seen as someone realy keen in what they are doing,i would probably do the same thing after pulling a shot of like that so if i have put it in the wrong context i apologise

Not at all, rifleshooter. Yeah, he was pretty determined. Without "carcass in hand", it could have been just wishful thinking. Gus does some taxidermy as well so he also wanted it for a mount. Not because the animal was a trophy but because the SHOT was a trophy! Gus mounted Ben's rockchuck that they took together at 1044 yards last year. It was the first 1000+ yard shot any of us had made. Gus wanted to have his own reminder of the shot.:cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.