125 to 130 grain bullets for 308 win

SamuelBerryhill308

Hello all I've been throughing around the idea of loading up some 110 to 130 grains bullets for white tail for my 308 win for next season one reason behind this is that's about all I can find in 30 cal and they would be all copper or something like a sst or fip game king.just wondering if it would be worth a try and If anyone has used these grain weights on whitetail and how did they do thanks

125 Nosler BT or Sierra Pro Hunter 46 grs IMR 4895 WW case, CCI BR2 is what I use but it shoots just about as good in Rem cases with different primers. Work up to this load for yourself. This runs right at 3000 fps and SMOKES deer. I prefer the 125 Nosler BT. I use this bullet in all my 30 cal stuff for deer. Just keep the impact velocity under 3000 fps and you will be ok. Best impact velocity is 2800 fps and under. Oh, felt recoil seems about half of what a 150 gr load is. My buddy and I came up with this load trying to find a lower recoil load for his girlfriend to use in a 308 win. Mission accomplished, she became a deer killing machine.

I have a good accurate load of 130 ttsx out of a 20" barrel over H4895. I havent killed anything with that specific load, but have killed mule deer and moose with 129 lrx and 127 lrx. 130ttsx is the best of the barnes bullets in 308 in my opinion. Will keep you above minimum expansion velocity to 400 yds.

Been shooting the 130 grain tsx out of my 308 for about 15 years. Leaves the 21" barrel at 3100 fps pushed by IMR4895. Have killed grouse to Moose and elk. Works great, never recovered a bullet, even on the elk shot at 600 yards. Way more than enough bullet for deer. IF you think about it 90% of animals shot with a 270 are shot with a 130 grain bullet. Shooting light for caliber mono metals is a good solution becassue they hold together, penetrate great and the extra speed is a bonus. Cup and Core like the Hornady, I still use 150 grain at 2950 fps.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.