125 grain for 308

Lucas

Hello, just came across this sight yesterday while browsing around the net. Looked around and boy is there some good info on this board. I just started reloading, completely new to it never done it before. So far my results are ok, i guess. Made some loads for my 220 swift with 52gr HP's and 39.5gr of win760 powder. They shot ok, but i've shot a lot better with factory loads out of that rifle.

I'm going to start working up some loads for my remington 700 308 with Sierra Pro Hunter 125gr bullets and was wondering if they'll stabilize well enough, my rifle has a 1/12" twist. Could anyone answer this question? Anyway, thanks in advance and I'm glad to have found this site, lots of good info.

Lucas

I have found this load to be very accurate in a number of 308 Win rifles.

46.0 grs IMR 4895, Winchester case, CCI-BR2 primer, 125 Sierra or Nosler ballistic tip, OAL 2.742 I get 3050 fps from my 21 1/2" Heart barrel 308 Win.

They both do a great job on deer. I prefer the Nosler ballistic over the Sierra for this application.

For use on varmints where you want explosive expansion use this load and the Speer 125 TNT bullet.

The 125 grain for the 308 should do a good job. in a Mohawk 600, 44.4 of Imr 2031 and large rifle primers , seated just off the lands, gives around 2900 fps. Try to avoid shoulders as they will get wasted. Neck or double lung is the ideal location. I use it for hogs, coyotes, and deer in Texas. Good luck this season

Hello, just came across this sight yesterday while browsing around the net. Looked around and boy is there some good info on this board. I just started reloading, completely new to it never done it before. So far my results are ok, i guess. Made some loads for my 220 swift with 52gr HP's and 39.5gr of win760 powder. They shot ok, but i've shot a lot better with factory loads out of that rifle.

I'm going to start working up some loads for my remington 700 308 with Sierra Pro Hunter 125gr bullets and was wondering if they'll stabilize well enough, my rifle has a 1/12" twist. Could anyone answer this question? Anyway, thanks in advance and I'm glad to have found this site, lots of good info.

Lucas

The remington 700 with the 1/12 twist was made for the 165 gr. i have a buddy that couldn't get them to Stablize at all he called remington and asked them if they could shed any lite on the reason and they told him that that gun was made to shoot the 165gr the breach of the barrel is set forward and the lighter projectile basically was to short for the breach im not sure if your gun is set up the same way but you might want to call remington and ask them if you get the same answer from them then you know not to wast your time and effort i hope this has been of some help

Bobo,

You said your friend's rifle couldn't stabilize the 125s. The reason is NOT a stability issue due to twist rate. You said it was built to shoot the 165 gr bullet. If someone at Remington told him that he doesn't know much about rifles. A 1 in 12 twist 308 win will stabilize any bullet up to 180 grains.

The breech you refer to is the throat. Sure the 308 is throated to accomodate longer bullets. It might be an issue in obtaining accuracy with a shorter/lighter bullet. Just because a rifle has a longer throat doesn't mean it cannot shoot well. Look at the weatherby lineup. Some of those rifles have a huge jump to the rifling called freebore. The original freebore in weatherby rifles was .375". That is huge yet the rifles shot quite accurately.

It might have been best to say my friend's factory remington rifle didn't want to a 125 gr shoot X brand bullet.

-------------

For the original poster. Nosler announced recently that they will be producting a 125 gr accubond!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts