125 GR TNT and the 300 RUM

Tack-Sniper

I have seen some talk in the archives of this forum about 125 Gr TNT bullets having speed limitations (3200 FPS) so I wanted to post my experiences with them. If you look at the bottom of this page:
http://www.geocities.com/underwatersniper/groups.html
You will see some groups I shot with the TNT's. I reloaded them with 97 gr of RL 22 which should be giving me around 3700 FPS. I dont know for sure as I do not have a chrono.I have not had any bullet failures as of yet but I have not tried them on varmints or waterjugs so I dont know how they react on anything but paper.I just wanted to open this up for discussion and see what others have to say about it because The 125's can be bought at an economical price at www.midwayusa.com , somewhere around $55/500. FWIW - even the 125 TNT's kick like a mule in a sporter weight barrel.

Keep in mind my site is a geocities site and has bandwidth restrictions.
Thanks-
John

I have run those bullets out at over 3800fps in a
300 Ackley and a 28" Silen barrel , they would blow up about one out of 10 I guess but the rest shot pretty well , better than the 125gr Ballistic tips.

Went back to notes from 27 May 02 for the 300 Weatherby. Problem was that downloading to 3100 fps caused too many dented cases because of reduced loads. I tried to keep to Speers velocity limit. The groups I got were not bad, but abandoned the prpject. I tried the Hornady 110 grain V-Max and that worked surprisely well. No velocity limits. I suspect the 300 RUM is pretty close to the 300 Weatherby in regards loads for light bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts