120gr GMX 6.5cm velocity

Powdeer

Hi!
Been loaded GMX for my 20inch barreled 6.5 creed. Got amazing group 0.4 inch group with very low extreme spread , so its a keeper. But muzzle velocity is just 2770fps. Im worry how it will perform at 400-500 yards. ? will it Open up ?
Hunting deer and wild boars.

I shot the 120 gr. GMX out of a 6.5 creedmoor I no longer have. I personally didn't like the performance on hogs at the range your talking about and I was running them around 3000 FPS if I remember correctly. Hornady states minimum expansion velocity is 2000 FPS, from my experience shooting hogs with my old 6.5 creedmoor I'd say 2200+ would be minimum

Ok well thats not good news yikes but I was kind of prepared for it. I personal like to have a tough allround bullet and barnes are obselete here right now, Have been hunting with 143gr eld x and vlds and eld match but didnt like close range hits, bullet falling apart and poor penetration sometimes. I like exit holes 😀

The hammer bullets would be a solid choice. Another option is to run the GMX's as your first round in the gun/mag and then having your go to 143 ELD-X's after. Check them to see how far off they are at 100 yds. and be ready to cycle out the GMX for the ELDX if a longer shot is in order. I've run something similar at times. Zeroed my gun for my long range bullet but ran a tougher bonded bullet for short range. At 200 they were within 2" and beyond that I had the time to cycle the bolt and get the "short range bullet" out of the way. Over the past few years I've moved to one bullet for a gun and just adjust shot placement depending on range. May not work for you but it's an option

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.