$1200 budget, what would you buy?

He actually went and picked up one of the new Weatherby Vanguards Meateater editions.
Thanks for the insight/opinions guys.
I'm glad meateater made these for this exact reason. sure you're paying 200$ or so for the name and the looks(it's a good looking rifle), but it gets newer hunters/people that don't know what to buy into a good platform. That's a good rifle, and should do well for him.

plus who wants to hunt with an ugly rifle?!

We all have our favorites, I lean toward Model 70s. I have budget rifles, but I also had a tax refund, so I got what IMO was the best. Model 70 Super Grade, 6.5 CM, toped with a Burris Eliminator III scope.

Model%2070%20Super%20Grade3.jpg

Stick with 6.5creedmoor

Sako S20 hunter has an AWESOME rebate RN till December 31.

Tikka T3X

Bergara B14 ridge

Savage 110 storm

Okay, a friend of mine is in search of a new rifle. 90%+ use will be Georgia WT, so 80-150lb animals and in the area we are in, 400yrds is a long shot. Stand and some mountain (hills for a lot of y'all) hunting. He has his mind leaning towards one of the new Savage 110 Ultralights in 6.5CM.. Glass is covered, but for just the factory naked rifle, anything else he should look at in that price range, or less? I mentioned the Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifles, not sure what else in a quality factory rifle is out there. Thanks for the help
Eric
If it were me I would find a good used Winchester Model 70 SA and have it rebarrelled to .308 or 6.5 CM depending on what you're after and shot distance. Both caliber are easy to find/reliable and easy to reload. HTH

Can't go wrong with the Browning HC speed IMHO. Reasonably light, shoots sub-MOA, and just looks more interesting than Tikka to me. All rifles mentioned will check the box. He needs to handle them and buy the one that makes him feel good.

How's the round count/barrel life on the Weatherby?
A lifetime of hunting. Not a target/plinking rifle. I'm not saying that dismissively either. I fully understand why a person might want a rifle to use for hunting and frequent recreational shooting or practice without having to worry. The .308 Winchester is still the best answer for those who want that in my opinion. But if this is a dedicated hunting rifle barrel life should be no concern