$1200 budget, what would you buy?

Well first I would have him join LRH .
I have found some great deals from members here . I would recomend a Remington 700 short or long you cant go wrong . So many options of stocks , triggers , barrels, rings ,bases ect .
If there is a chance he might head out west someday then I would recomend a 300 ultra mag . He could shoot the 150 gr. around home for whitetails and then when he heads out west Bump up to a 180 gr. Or 210 Noslers.
It will be his choice on blued or stainless , standard magnum barrel or a nice looking Stainlees flutted Sendero !
I just put together a blued heavy barrel 300 Rum from forum members and it shot amazing on steel out to 1 mile a week ago.
Hope he finds something good !

Rum Man

I would also strongly recommend the Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. I picked one up in a trade not long ago. I'd never owned a Tikka nor a 6.5 Creed, and I planned on selling it but decided to shoot it a little first. After getting it sighted in my first 3 shots at 100 yards were 1/2". Later I moved to 200 yards and easily and repeatedly fired groups under 1". This is with factory ammo (Hornady Superformance w/129 gr SST bullets @ ~2,785 fps). I don't shoot a ton and those groups are about the best I can hope to shoot, but with this rifle they were easy. In one day this rifle went from an afterthought to my go-to deer gun. With the scope mounted this rifle weighs a little less than 8 1/2 pounds. I couldn't be more impressed with the Tikka CTR.

Well, not sure that he's a hunter or a gun enthusiast, but I'm trying to help him into either or both profiles. I know he hasn't ever hunted anything other than squirrel, and that with a BB gun. He has had a VERY sheltered youthful upbringing, but a good kid, and is just trying to find his footing.
I'll send him the suggestions, I'm just under the impression that he's hung up on the CF barrels.. (He drives a Honda civic with a CF hood and trunk spoiler.. Blows my mind, but to each their own..)

Well, not sure that he's a hunter or a gun enthusiast, but I'm trying to help him into either or both profiles. I know he hasn't ever hunted anything other than squirrel, and that with a BB gun. He has had a VERY sheltered youthful upbringing, but a good kid, and is just trying to find his footing.
I'll send him the suggestions, I'm just under the impression that he's hung up on the CF barrels.. (He drives a Honda civic with a CF hood and trunk spoiler.. Blows my mind, but to each their own..)
Just help him out as much as you can !
He can have a good time hunting and feed his Family too !
It's great your doing what you can for him !

Rum Man

Have a Sako A7 in 6.5 cm love it. Comes with a brake. Doesn't need the the brake. I like the 60° bolt lift. MY GRAND KIDS have shot deer ,antelope and elk with it.Great looking gun also.

Yea, he's a solid kid. I tried to give him a Savage 110 Tactical Desert that I picked up CHEAP, that I didn't even want, as it is much to heavy for my wife to carry, but he didn't take it, as he wanted it to be his, and not a hand down. Pros/cons.. He wants to do it all by himself, all the time. Good kid, great employee.

Hard to go wrong with the Tikka. I work on alot of different rifles and the tikkas are the smoothest bolt and I believe the most accurate out of the box rifle you can buy. 6.5creed tops my list for people just starting. Tons of great ammo available. Very accurate and will kill to 400 with out breaking a sweat.
Shep

I would also strongly recommend the Tikka CTR in 6.5 CM. I picked one up in a trade not long ago. I'd never owned a Tikka nor a 6.5 Creed, and I planned on selling it but decided to shoot it a little first. After getting it sighted in my first 3 shots at 100 yards were 1/2". Later I moved to 200 yards and easily and repeatedly fired groups under 1". This is with factory ammo (Hornady Superformance w/129 gr SST bullets @ ~2,785 fps). I don't shoot a ton and those groups are about the best I can hope to shoot, but with this rifle they were easy. In one day this rifle went from an afterthought to my go-to deer gun. With the scope mounted this rifle weighs a little less than 8 1/2 pounds. I couldn't be more impressed with the Tikka CTR.
I've never owned a tika but did see and handled one at Academy Sports that had one in 6.5 CR, that someone had ordered but decided against it. It felt really good and it was $998.00 out the door. If there's one by y'all, he can order online and when it comes in if he doesn't like it he doesn't have to buy it. Also it would give him something that could be used for longer range if he ventures out later on.

You can not ask for a better bargain than this. Tikka has bolts that run slick as butter, a trigger that lightly breaks like glass and some of the best out of the box accuracy that you could ask for. Link is for 6.5CM, which would serve you well or pick another 7mm-08, .308 what ever you want they are all good, blued models in the $550 range what's not to love. I think the 6.5 would be a little more versatile..... Best of luck and enjoy....

Okay, a friend of mine is in search of a new rifle. 90%+ use will be Georgia WT, so 80-150lb animals and in the area we are in, 400yrds is a long shot. Stand and some mountain (hills for a lot of y'all) hunting. He has his mind leaning towards one of the new Savage 110 Ultralights in 6.5CM.. Glass is covered, but for just the factory naked rifle, anything else he should look at in that price range, or less? I mentioned the Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifles, not sure what else in a quality factory rifle is out there. Thanks for the help
Eric
I agree with Backcountry. Go with a Christensen Arms Mesa or the Browning.
Both very nice, light, outstanding triggers right out of the box.
And sorry I know it doesn't have all the new glamour but the 25-06 is a very capable and fun round to play with.

Cabelas has the rem 700 gen 2 5r on sale for 874.99 and there is currently a $75 rebate. Hs stock, cerakoted stainless metal, threaded, tac bolt handle. Hard to beat
I would second this swap trigger out skim bed and he would have a mighty fine rifle I have nothing against a savage I just think this is a better option

Okay, a friend of mine is in search of a new rifle. 90%+ use will be Georgia WT, so 80-150lb animals and in the area we are in, 400yrds is a long shot. Stand and some mountain (hills for a lot of y'all) hunting. He has his mind leaning towards one of the new Savage 110 Ultralights in 6.5CM.. Glass is covered, but for just the factory naked rifle, anything else he should look at in that price range, or less? I mentioned the Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifles, not sure what else in a quality factory rifle is out there. Thanks for the help
Eric

Tikka T3x in 6.5cm to 308. To me, and many others, best buy, best rifle. My

I like the Rem 700 mtn rifles. Very light and handy. I have 3, 25-06, 270, and 280.
All three will shoot right at 1/2 moa once you find their load. That's also why I like the CA Mesa for the price.

Tikka T3X ultralight, a Sportsman's Warehouse exclusive. My son and I both have one in 6.5 CM. They go on sale often. If he has to have some CF he could always buy a Mesa Precision Arms CF stock with the balance plus a few hundred. Great shooting rifles. We mainly hunt coues and muleys in AZ.