$1200 budget, what would you buy?

Kay0404

Okay, a friend of mine is in search of a new rifle. 90%+ use will be Georgia WT, so 80-150lb animals and in the area we are in, 400yrds is a long shot. Stand and some mountain (hills for a lot of y'all) hunting. He has his mind leaning towards one of the new Savage 110 Ultralights in 6.5CM.. Glass is covered, but for just the factory naked rifle, anything else he should look at in that price range, or less? I mentioned the Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifles, not sure what else in a quality factory rifle is out there. Thanks for the help
Eric

1500? I'd get decent glass and then find more money for the rifle.

Obviously that's a stretch- just that you're going to get many responses from a $300 savage axis to a full custom and keep saving your pennies.

Isn't for me, is for one of my employees. He's already bought a gen 2 Vortex Viper HSLR from somewhere.. Kid makes $20/hr.. Has a kid and a wife, she's a nurse, I'm sure they are fine. He was wanting my input, told him I wasn't sure as to what all is out there in new production.

I absolutely love me new Savage Ultralight.... mines a 6.5 PRC and I've only shot factory loads so far just gathering up some brass but it's very accurate. The stock is terrible, but it does shoot great spite the flimsy stock.

Nice and light and can be customized in wanted.

Almost the same gun... just more money

Decent rifle I have seen between 775-900

Nothing wild and crazy but solid for shooting deer:

Lots of options out there depending on what your looking for.

Okay, a friend of mine is in search of a new rifle. 90%+ use will be Georgia WT, so 80-150lb animals and in the area we are in, 400yrds is a long shot. Stand and some mountain (hills for a lot of y'all) hunting. He has his mind leaning towards one of the new Savage 110 Ultralights in 6.5CM.. Glass is covered, but for just the factory naked rifle, anything else he should look at in that price range, or less? I mentioned the Browning Hells Canyon Speed rifles, not sure what else in a quality factory rifle is out there. Thanks for the help
Eric
Browning or christiansen mesa

400 yards or less.... I wouldn't look no father than a 25-06. Tikka or older Remington 700 BDL

I know 25s are not the rage--but for killing stuff a 257 WBY or a 25-06 stoked with 100-120 grain bullets are pretty awesome! I have shot A LOT of stuff with them..and inside 500 yards...like a Polaroid camera...point and shoot.

While the savage will get the job done, have him look at the Tikka. The fit and finish are second to none in the price range. The triggers are good enough that most people don't do anything to them, other than a $10 spring. And they just flat out shoot. The T3X Lite makes a great dedicated hunting rig, but if he's really set on 6.5CM look at the CTR. It's heavier, but only because of a thicker barrel contour. So for the money he'd be getting great hunting rifle that he could also go and bang steel at distance all day with.

Is he a hunter first and gun enthusiast second, or vice versa? If the former then I think that he has made a good choice. If the latter then I'd look for something a bit more esthetic. Howa, Tikka, & Rem all come to mind.

I'll second the Tikka Recommendation. Actions are very slick and the factory trigger is great. They have some new models out this year with fluted bolts and barrels with cerakote on all the metal for around $1000. Plenty of aftermarket support as well. Only thing with the Tikka is that you should stick with short to medium length cartridges because the long action magazines are so short at 3.34". Long action magazine and bolt stop with a short action cartridge makes for a great combo in the Tikkas.