12-Year-Old Wallops Bull Elk at 1376 YARDS!

Len Backus

Administrator
Staff member
This is the son of Gunwerks owner Aaron Davidson and it was featured on the first episode of this TV season for Long Range Pursuit.

The limits of long range hunting are tested as Danner Davidson, Aaron's son takes a nice Wyoming bull with a shot distance of 1376 yards with a Gunwerks 7mm Rem Mag.

[ame=http://youtu.be/eIn1G8BeUuc]12-Year-Old Wallops Bull Elk at 1376 YARDS! - Long Range Hunting - YouTube[/ame]

and i thought 7mm bullets were too small for long range elk, exelent shooting.

Can someone tell me approximately what ft./lbs of energy would be left on that bullet at 1376 yards with that particular caliber, as it seems awful far for an elk size animal? I know the old timers always said they want 1500 at POI on an elk and 1000 on a deer, which may be a little more than necessary. I'm just wondering what that bullet would have had left at that distance. Thanks for any information offered!

7mm Remington mag, 168 grain berger hunting VLD MV about 3025 (based off of their ammo specs on the website) 7000' ASL 40*F 30% humidity. 908.7 ft lbs of energy at 1376 yards.

Thanks for the quick reply! That's a little bit better than what I thought it might be, but being 65 and of the old school of thought I don't know that I'd want to push it quite that far on a big bull. It did the trick on that shot though and that's what counts!

No problem, i was also a but surprised, i think it is probably because of the high elevation.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.