12 gauge VS. 20 gauge

My TC Encore 20 fully rifled with Nikon BDC will run and kill with any 12 and that is using a 2 3/4 sabot. Accuracy is key versus big MV and recoil that misses.

Been the 12 ga route for years and ran a lot of tests of 12 and 20 myself and I see the 20 as capable as the 12.

It is really using the same bullets as a 50 Cal muzzleloader with sabots and they are uniformly agreed as being 200 yard capable.

BH

I've always used Lightfields due to accuracy and if you go with them the 12 ga. 3" will out run the 20 all day tgo he numbers and paper dont lie. Even If you go with the 3" 20ga.

As stated the recoil of the 12 is something you will have to deal with. I went through the nubers when I built a designated slug gun

12 Ga 3" Hybrid elite 100 yard zero @ 150 yards drops -3.97
20 ga 2-3/4 100 yard zero @ 125 yards drops -3.49
20 3" 100 yard zero @ 150 yards drops -7.21

I shoot a 20 and a 12 with 2-3/4 for designated long range 3" 12

Neither @ 200 if you must the 12 with 3" still runs 1000lbs at 180yards with less drop.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Are you saying neither is good @ 200 yds?

I'm leaning toward the Savage 210F, seems like a very solid gun from what I've researched so far.

get a savage 220, 20ga, it will do all you want it to do and its priced decent, i have one and it will shoot sub inch groups at 100 and about a 2-4 inch at 200

get a savage 220, 20ga, it will do all you want it to do and its priced decent, i have one and it will shoot sub inch groups at 100 and about a 2-4 inch at 200

I'm tossing this around as well. The 220 vs. 210...... Probably have better bullet selection with the 12. I don't care about recoil, so I can't think of a reason not to go with the 210.

Could you elaborate on that a bit? Are you saying neither is good @ 200 yds?

I'm leaning toward the Savage 210F, seems like a very solid gun from what I've researched so far.

All I'm saying is 200 is a long way for any slug and is not easy. I like to shoot and hunt with the 20ga but for pushing the limits I like the 12. I just dont like the recoil.

Call Randy Frits at TarHunt he also does R&D for Lightfield and can give some good advice.

The Savage shoots awsome, as good or better than anything out there.

All I'm saying is 200 is a long way for any slug and is not easy. I like to shoot and hunt with the 20ga but for pushing the limits I like the 12. I just dont like the recoil.

Call Randy Frits at TarHunt he also does R&D for Lightfield and can give some good advice.

The Savage shoots awsome, as good or better than anything out there.

Ah, I can agree with that.

Good to hear about the Savage. It looks like a nice gun too. Just out of curiosity, what kind of scope to you have on yours. I haven't researched that part yet. :D

Ah, I can agree with that.

Good to hear about the Savage. It looks like a nice gun too. Just out of curiosity, what kind of scope to you have on yours. I haven't researched that part yet. :D

This year I'll use the HR ultra slug gun with a vxIII and a target turret

Digging up an old thread, but given the advances in slugs the last few years, what are your preferences of 12 vs 20 ? I may be going to IL next season , so need to start thinking about this.

I have owned and shot most everything talked about here as slug hunting is my thing. 20 gauge all the way. All records for accuracy are held by 20 gauge. And as far as 200 not a problem with either the savage or HR. I settled on HR just because it out shot my savage slightly depends on your gun. If you are trying to shoot lightfeilds than its to far. Accutips no problem Iwould move out even farther ddepending on the situation. Currently working on a slug load that will push it even farther.
If I where in your shoes. Buy a savage 220 and try accutips, hornady, and a few others. Find which one shoots best and find your drops and go with it.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.