12 Ga. Slugs Impossible to Find -Solution!

Muddyboots

Been seeing same old crap with trying to buy slugs so I thought I would share I have plenty and so can you. I started reloading slugs 20+ years ago since I could not find the consistency in performance box to box even in same lot number that I was accustomed to in metallic reloading.

I stumbled onto the slugs I am reloading in a search, called and spoke to Rich Knoster owner designer if them. After discussing roll crimping decided to try. Best decision I have ever made. These are not the glitzy high velocity sabots that everyone wants to brag about but a full barrel 1 1/4 oz combined integrated sabot. I find they seem to shoot best in the 1500-1600 fps and in a 1:34 twist I have no trouble getting <2" real world groups at 100 yards. They hit like a freight train and I have killed a lot of really nice bucks with them. If you hunt heavy cover, its the ability to shoot accurately through tiny windows of opening to shoot through.

But you have ammo and it is accurate as can be! My setup is old school; 870, Rem thumbhole stock combo, Hastings bull 26" barrel, 1:34 twist, Timney trigger spring update (2.5 lb trigger) and it just hammers the snot out of deer. I reload box 25 and pick any 5 and ALL shoot the same which is huge confidence builder for anyone which us why we reload!

I use a drill press setup with stop in place to maintain COAL and wad pressure when roll crimping. Also use adjustable hull holder to insure vertical alignment and stability. I prefer using SS roll crimper versus plastic.

So here we are in another hoarding for the next Apocalypse so this can be your shotgun solution as well as an upgrade in performance. Shotgun powders do seem to be available plus I just buy hulls pre-primed.

Link: Sabot Technologies

Here is an actual pic of my finished slug. I buy ultra high brass from Ballistics Products for my slugs but standard high brass work as well. I also tried to weigh and sort. Not sure if that makes any difference throwing a a slug with the BC of a brick down range but I tried and from my perspective don't bother!

I am working on an ALL steel slug that would insert into the sabot that I think would be awesome for hogs and bears close range. You would have undeniable penetration and obviously weight retention so it may be worth trying for close encounters with hogs at night! I have ordered several different steel fasteners that I think might work but need to do some further testing. If they do work, then you have access to local hardware store for ammo!🤣

IMG_2300.JPG

A few years ago I basically got a 1 oz. Lee Drive Key slug mold free when I ordered a bunch of stuff from a supplier.
I also had picked up a Remington extended rifled choke tube at a yard sale for almost nothing.

I am a bullet caster so I already had everything I needed.
I had some PURE LEAD that came from recovered roof sheeting.
I cast some slugs and they came out perfect.

After a bit of trial with a few different loads with change of primer, wad and powder combos, I discovered some interesting things.

Blue Dot powder needs a mag primer to light good. I had to drive a stuck slug out of the bore from one round that did not light the powder good using a standard CCI 209 primer.

The biggest surprise was when I found this load.
1 oz. Lee slug
2 3/4" Winchester WWAA case, Fed. 209A primer, Clay Buster WAA12 wad, 35 grs. Hodgdon Longshot. I used my MEC 600 Jr. like a single stage press weighing each powder charge on my scale but using a star crimp on each round.

I don't know what the velocity of this load is because I did not chrno it but it is moving pretty good from the felt recoil.

I used my Rem. 870 super mag 3 1/2" turkey shotgun because it had a scope mounted on it. It has the 28" Rem-choke barrel and I screwed the rifled choke into it.

Off a bench with front rest and rear bag I put 4 out of 5 shots at 50 yards in a ragged hole 1" from outside to outside. The other shot was a called FLINCH. If you want to learn how to FLINCH shoot a bunch of slugs. LOL

I really don't have a need for slugs to hunt with so I was just fooling around. I did cast up a couple hundred more slugs. I loaded up some more of this load intending to chrno them and shoot at longer ranges but life got in the way and I never did. Maybe in 3 years when I retire I may get bored and give them a try again. LOL

I actually have a fair amount of slugs on hand. But that's because I gave up on the slug guns years ago. Still have an 1100 with rifled slug barrel that shoots 1-2" groups at 100. Between a smokeless muzzleloader and a 45 raptor, there is zero reason for me to shoot slugs. Both guns shoot far more accurately and have a much better trajectory.

Happy you found a solution to the shortage of ammunition. Another solution to the slug shortage is a 450 BM🙃

The magic pixie dust for slug loads is Alliant Pro Reach. Increased velocity with less powder. Boy, now I have done it! There goes Pro Reach😂! I get faster velocity in 2.75 hull than I used with Blue Dot or SR4756 in 3" hulls. Pro Reach lets you have less recoil for same performance since in comparison, I am using 7 grains less to get same velocity with Pro Reach. Alliant does not have slug data but just use their shot tables. Understand the tables do not include the weight of the wads and spacers plus set back on ignition so there is somewhat of safety margin built in when using comparative weights of shot to slugs.

The slug will always have a home for me in really tight shooting like heavy dense cover swamps. My shots are usually not much more than 25-30 yards since I can't see more than that anyway. I like hitting them with tons of energy and leaving a really large hole for tracking if need be since swamps are not blood trail friendly. The whomp of a slug hitting them close range is a sound you just love to hear, you know its dirt nap time and the instant snowplowing is always a good sight as well. When hunting public land the better bucks will be in those nasty hard to reach and ugly to walk places so might as well hit them with an ugly slug😂

Great information. Thanks. I frequently hunt on federal property and they make us use copper - no lead allowed. I'm currently shooting Federal Premium Trophy Copper Sabot Slugs in 20 Gauge. I can't find a source for them. No one locally or online has them for sale. I'll keep checking but I'm wondering if you have any additional information on loading the copper sabots in a 20 gauge shell?

This is great stuff, I've had terrible luck with slugs. I've only tired the slugs from the lee molds.
Have you used any other molds?

You can buy the plain sabot from them and insert any .500 caliber copper slug. I bet a Barnes would work fine but you may be limited to 2 shots since it will stick out a bit so cannot use stacked in magazine. LINK:Sabot Technologies

I contacted them and got this reply back:

Mrs. Pamela Knoster, Manager <[email protected]>
Mon 9/6/2021 1:49 PM

The splines can't hold in the copper. Too hard if an alloy. I have heard some that were going to try to epoxy them in. No one has ever got back to me to tell me that worked or didn't work.

I believe these might work since I have used them in past with Barnes .50 cal