12 ga 3.5 or 10 ga 3.5

Now for the next question, would it be worth the expense to have my 28 inch full choke barrel on my old 870 wingmaster fitted for a screw in choke for waterfowl hunting or buy a new barrel that is already equipped with screw in chokes or just put the money towards a new shotgun. Keep in mind that the old 870 is only a 2 3/4 chamber.

The nice thing about a 3 1/2 '' chamber is that you don't have to shoot 3 1/2 shells all of
the time but you have it if you need it and on geese and turkeys it will extend your range
(something that is near and dear to all of us on this site) because of pattern density.

And That's why I recomended the 391 extrema (It does not care what you are shooting in it)

J E CUSTOM

Two more questions to ponder: Does anyone here know a lefty that shoots a right handed auto, and are there any issues? Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Mossberg 935 Mag semi auto, a friend at work has one and likes it as much as his SBE? The internet reviews are mostly favorable except for shooting light loads and this gun can be had for less than 500.00

I've been shooting an original SBE for about 10 years straight. I love duck hunting and I get out a lot with that gun. It is not all love between me and that gun. When it is super cold the action will not return quickly, and it will at times stovepipe a shell. It also misfires occasionally, especially when it is cold out. I can take that whole gun down to a pile of parts in no time, and I often do because that gun likes to be clean as a whistle to work properly. If you clean the heck out of it, keep it lubed up and keep ice and debris out of it while in the field it will work flawlessly. If you're not into maintaining it meticulously it will give you problems. I did get to shoot a friends SBE11 recently and I thought it was ok, but I had to take the gun apart for him because he was having similar problems to mine, after I showed him all the areas that gunk builds up on and how to clean them it shot fine.

No contest between the 10 and the 12. I don't even know where to buy 10 ga. ammo. I do like having the 31/2 chamber but I mostly shoot 3". I like to trick them to coming in close, pass shooting is for sissies.

Two more questions to ponder: Does anyone here know a lefty that shoots a right handed auto, and are there any issues? Does anyone have any first hand experience with the Mossberg 935 Mag semi auto, a friend at work has one and likes it as much as his SBE? The internet reviews are mostly favorable except for shooting light loads and this gun can be had for less than 500.00

Last year I really messed up my right shoulder and when the turkey season opened I had just
had surgery a month earlier and was forced to shoot left handed because I knew it would
hurt,shooting the 2 1/4 loads plus my doctor had given me strict instructions not to shoot with anything.

It is not a problem if the shotgun extracts the shells to the front ( 1 to 2 o'clock) the port is
forward of the shooters face and the shells are throne well to the front if shooting left
handed.

I have very little experience with the 935 but owned an 835 and it kicked like a mule.

J E CUSTOM

The 935 is supposed to kick a little less than the pump. I am leaning towards buying one if I can find one for the right price. Time to check on my wholesale connections.

I have had a SBE for 16 seasons and it is one awesome gun. I shot around 80,000 shells through the gun before it started having problems. It is now in semi-retirement since I bought a SBEII. It is just as good as my first, if not better. Last week I was shooting pheasants the first half of the day with 2 3/4" #4's and then ducks with 3 1/2" #2's with no problems. I also shoot these guns some for clays and doves with 1 1/8 oz loads and have never had a hiccup. My dad is a lefty and he has a left hand SBE and wouldn't trade it for anything.

FYI-A gun store here in Memphis has some new LH SBE's for $899 and new SBEII's for $999. They no longer stock Benelli's and are trying to get rid of them. That is a HELL of a deal for brand new Benelli's!!!

PM me and I will give you the name/number of the gun store if you want to see if they will ship your FFL one of those guns.

PS-I would definately steer clear of a 10ga, and it seems like you are. I have a few buddies that are "die hard 10ga guys" for waterfowl and turkeys. On that same trip that I was talking about above, one of my "die hard 10ga buddies" ran out of shells and was SOL! You can easily find 12ga shells anywhere in a pinch or steal some from your hunting partners.

Last edited:
I ordered a mossberg 935 magnum waterfowl special yesterday with a 26 inch barrel and camo finish for a very good price of 514.00 and 562.00 out the door. The 899.00 price for a lefty Benelli is a great deal, but I didn't have that much in my wallet, so I will spend the extra funds on some shells to run through it. Now hopefully some more ducks and geese will show up.

I have owned several 12 and 10 gauge shotguns over the years. The last 10yrs or so I have shot a Benellie 12ga SBE. The 10's put a lot of shot in the air - they are also very heavy and slow to swing. The SBE is perfect - it swings quick. We do most of our duck hunting over decoys - the 2.75 work good here. We field shoot canadians over decoys - 2.75 or 3" work well here. We also go out to South Dakota every year to shoot white geese. We have an area that we have a lot if success pass shooting them - fr this we step up to the 3.5" shells. I do much better with the 12 shooting geese than I ever did with the 10's. I have never felt undergunned with the 12.

This forum is alive? If yes, please remove this topic and my account.

This forum is alive? If yes, please remove this topic and my account.

ulcequeedgeni

Scroll down towards the bottom of the email notification. There will be a link you can click on that will take you to the web site and delete your name from the list that gets you notified.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.