1186 yard ELK. 1 shot

Also, just to expand the skills. I took a Mule deer with my bow this year. WOW, it was like a whole different experience to have to get that close. I still enjoy the ELR side of hunting, but it was a much more intimate feeling to get within 36 yards.
That being said, I feel everyone should hunt the way they feel works best for them.

Shot my first big game animal. Heck, my first animal period this last month. a good 6x6 bull elk taken at 1186 yards. This shot was something i practiced more times than i care to recall. but i know my equipment. 300 WM desert tech srs. with berger 215 bullets using norma brass and H1000 loaded at 76.5 and moving 2936fps.
I would like to thank Shane Scott Outfitting in RIchfield Ut for helping on this hunt. I told them i wanted a long shot, and they provided it. THis bull was pushing over the top of the mountain at just about 10000 ft and i only had a few seconds as he walked between trees. Couldnt have asked for a better first hunt, Im hooked!!!

View attachment 67121
I saw the picture of your rifle and was wondering what length barrel is on it?

In the picture of the rifle, what the hell happened to the vehicle?
We shoot our prs matches at an air force base. They gave us several vehicles to shoot off of. We have a bus with targets in seats at 900 yards as well as tanks and hummers

velocity at impact was still 1635fps and Energy was 1232 ft lbs. was plenty to get it done. anything over 1000 is still in the safe zone for ethical kill shots.

That's pretty good specs at that range. Shoot, my 2506 shooting 115's runs lower than that at 400yds, much less 1200. great elk.

Congrats!! Great shooting!! But don't show this to Randy Newberg & his bunch!! They think you have to get within 100 yards to effectively kill any animal!! :)

BW

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts