1173 7wsm

I guess i am happy that he got LUCKY. I have always hated it when shots at game are taken at that kind of distance. You never hear at how many are wounded or lost. 1000 yards is completely unethical in my book. Maybe getting old is making me cranky but i don't care. Stop the crazy shots at that distance and try actually hunting for once.
No luck all skill and training
Here is a sample of my training and wind skills i teach

Last edited:
So, i am sensored and gone from this site. Must be democrate.

You have neither been banned or sensored. But ..... you may want to rethink your post. It would have been better posted elsewhere.

Welcome to LRH where longrange hunters of all political parties are welcome.

And no - we don't talk politics here either.

Have a good one - VH

Great shooting! I say great shooting because thats what it is! I just can't call and never do call shooting game at that range hunting. Ive shot game at that range often but by no means is it "hunting".
No small feat to hit a target (whatever the target) at that distance.
(To derfssor) 10 steps and down is more than ethical at any range.
But since you brought it up...So by your logic...shooting an animal with a bow at 10 yards and watching it run 80 yards while bleeding out is somehow more ethical...how...cuz you were closer?
That makes about as much sense as a Joe Brandon speech.

I have seen more wounded animals from a hunter who picks up a rifle 1 week before season and shoots 3 rounds at 200 yards and holds high at 300 hoping to get a good shot. Then a longrange shooter who gets the correct gear and practice once a month!
This.

While I myself will never attempt a shot on game beyond 600 yards that's my personal ethics decision and not something I preach others must abide by.

But I know a number of "old timers" for lack of a better word from my community that vehemently condemn any shot beyond 300 as unethical, stunting, the sign of a bad hunter, etc….and the thing is I can guarantee the particular guys I'm thinking of cannot do at 100 what I can do at 300-400, do not practice, brag about making a box of 20 shells last a decade….

I was at the local BiMart and spoke of a 125 yard shot I took. One person said "Wow that's a long shot". It all depends on a person's skill set. I don't necessarilly like some of the rules of this board. But it's what we agreed to when coming on this forum.

In my opinion long range is an individual ethic my thought process is if you have to think about the shot it's too far

on the other hand 26 years active duty 30 as a civilian combined I have no issue shooting animals at 1500 yards plus I do it quite often I understand flight time Max Ord can read wind excellent and completely understand environmentals that affect the projectiles.

I always keep in mind what the animals doing how still it is so that I can ensure the flight time of the bullet is correct I always look at Max Ord to make sure that the wind is not gonna kick up during flight time

I correct (sin) angles when looking at valleys for up draft
Also compensating for secondary and earth base effects

When I teach my classes I do not expect or have people attempt to do the same thing farthest we shoot is 1534 yards at a life-size elk target in level two and level one we're only shooting out 1000 yards which is not far

And I tell them as long as they feel confident on the shot they can read the wind the ballistic rangefinder from the Sig kilo 10K calculates all secondary and earth base effects as long as they're in your comfort zone and understand flight time i.e. 1.2 to 1.4 seconds for the bullet to get to the target at 1000 yards caliber dependent

Last edited: