115 VLD load help

earlcurtis67

hoping to get some opinion's on where to go from here.
Rifle; Vanguard S-2, 25-06, 24",
adjustable front rest, rear bag

Load; 115gn Berger VLD, H4831SC, rem 9.5,
270 Nosler brass neck sized to 25-06
2.735 ogive- gently touching lands
no loads showed any signs of pressure

weather; 92F, wind 5-10 in my face, shooting under shade

there are two 53gn loads because one was used to adjust the scope
the primer on group #3 didn't ignite (third round) the two at the bottom right dont count
I'm thinking the 52.5 and 53gn loads show promis, but I dont know about 53.5??
what do ya'll think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 68
My load for my 25-06 is 115 gr vld with 54 gr of H4831SC. I will come back and put in the distance from the rifling but I believe it is .015 off. I would go higher on the charge if you are not finding any pressure yet. A lot of people have found 54 gr to be the sweet spot for powder charge with this combo.

I don't have a 25-06 so take this with a grain of salt but here is what I do. Go up in charge till I get pressure signs, then back off about 1-1.5 grains, then start with the bullet as far out as I can (I don't waist much time with exact numbers yet at this point), load 3 rounds and shoot, turn seat die in 1 full turn load 3 rounds and shoot again, then just keep doing this until it starts to shoot good. Then and only then do I fool with trying to get just the right numbers. Here is my point in all this. I have a 243 that went from shooting 1.5 MOA to about .4 MOA using the same powder, charge, case, and primer, all I did was change seat depth. I have a 7WSM that was the same story. And in nether case was the best depth very close to the lands. The best thing I have read about this is a article on this forum that is called ''Getting VLD's To Shoot'' or something to that affect (don't know if that's the exact title but its close I think). Hope this helps in some way and hope I didn't come across as ''my way or the highway''! Anyway it looks like your close so have fun with it!:)

67, since no two rifles like the same charge, try tweaking seating depth. My son's 25-06 with 26" heavy barrel likes the same components you use. He uses Federal 210M primers. The only difference is slight charge weight and seating depth. After finding the powder niche, we found the max accuracy adjusting the seat depth till it is shooting .388 inch groups at 200 yds. Wish I could get any of my rifles to do that! Good luck

67, since no two rifles like the same charge, try tweaking seating depth. My son's 25-06 with 26" heavy barrel likes the same components you use. He uses Federal 210M primers. The only difference is slight charge weight and seating depth. After finding the powder niche, we found the max accuracy adjusting the seat depth till it is shooting .388 inch groups at 200 yds. Wish I could get any of my rifles to do that! Good luck

Ok, using Bergers' method I'll back seating debth off .040" and try again, but at what charge weight? 52.5 or go up to 54gn and tweak that later as need be? I don't want to change primers now. later on if I see a consistant node I'll try BR-2s or 200s, just to compare

The Berger method starts seating depth at a lower charge for that test. Then vary 0.002/0.005 around the best. Finally vary the powder charge to find max and any "nodes."

hoping to get some opinion's on where to go from here.
Rifle; Vanguard S-2, 25-06, 24",
adjustable front rest, rear bag

Load; 115gn Berger VLD, H4831SC, rem 9.5,
270 Nosler brass neck sized to 25-06
2.735 ogive- gently touching lands
no loads showed any signs of pressure

weather; 92F, wind 5-10 in my face, shooting under shade

there are two 53gn loads because one was used to adjust the scope
the primer on group #3 didn't ignite (third round) the two at the bottom right dont count
I'm thinking the 52.5 and 53gn loads show promis, but I dont know about 53.5??
what do ya'll think?
earlcurtis67,
The 53 grain target shows a really good "waterline" group. Very little if any vertical dispersion,just a "weather report". Suggest you use that load if it meets your requirements. If you need any more help you can contact us here or at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.