115 gr Berger VLD load for my 25-06

The hunting bullets start expansion more quickly than the target bullets.
Ok, but will they expand enough to kill without hitting much muscle or bone? Basically, a broadside, less than 100 yards shot straight through the vitals without getting into shoulder or ribs on a whitetail doe...in a perfect world that is. I just don't want a pass through shot (like a triple shock) that barely expands and leaves an exit hole the diameter of a Sharpie. I know I'll get blood and probably a kill, but I don't want her to run a half a mile on adrenaline. No need to suffer that long and plus it does something to the meat. Not sure if it's the stress and tension in the muscles or a chemical/hormonal thing, but a deer that runs always has a different, wilder if you will, taste to me.

Last edited:
Submoa, if you are this worried about the bullet and it is less than 100yrds, why not just shot it in the head? No need for expansion.

I think that these should be safe at virtually any distance short to far. My buddy has some depredation permits that we have been filling. I had him shoot a doe Muley for me. He shot her in the pocket directly behind the front shoulder at around 60 yards away. He even split the ribs both going in and exiting. There was a pencil sized entry hole and a silver dollar sized exit hole. Interestingly enough though, it blood shot a large portion of the far shoulder even though there was no direct impact to the shoulder. She made it only 20 yards from where she was shot.

I would post pictures, but feel them a little gory for the masses and our antis have enough ammunition without me adding to it. Suffice it to say that I feel confident with this bullet inside 100 yards and out.

Our next opportunity for testing will come in December when there are a few more deer to be shot. I will be trying hard for a 100 yard or less broadside, high shoulder shot. I want to put them through their paces and really see how they perform in the difficult to pass tests. My style of hunting can have me jump shooting deer in the morning and spot and stalk hunting that afternoon. So any bullet I choose needs to perform well at both close range and as far as I am comfortable with that particular rifle. So far, Berger is passing the test.:rolleyes:

notsubmoa, this previous post should answer your questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.