111 LRH Loads

msummer88

I've have my LRH in the .300 win mag. I went shooting out at the range last week trying to decide if I really like this load or not. Now I'm running into some trouble. I'm starting to see some inconsistensy. And fromw what I've read on here there are some other people experiencing the same thing.

At 100 yards I'm somewhat happy with the grouping, I know I can do better but it will do for the hunts this year, I usually can get it 1/2-1 inch groups @100. Now I'm trying 200 yards and I'm getting 2-5 inch groups. I can get two shots grouped really well then I have a flyer or two. I shot 5 groups and I really was only ok with 2 of them. But with the two I liked, there was one shot that was off quite a bit. A little frustrating!

Here's my load..

180gr Nosler Accubond
Winchester Brass
RL22 @75gr
CCS primer
Bullet seeding is at 3.90 inches
This load is shooting at 3160fps

Now, when I got this gun I was shooting the 165gr accubond with RL19 and I had the same seeding depth as my 180gr. That round shot really well. I liked it a lot but I wanted some more knock down power at longer distances to I went to the 180gr. So I never did seeding depth test with 180gr. Do you recommend I go back and try that? Would seeding depth cause one or two random flyers?

My gun is all stock besides the scope. The only thing I have adjusted is the trigger. And I've put about 120-150 rounds through it.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

My 300 win doesnt like 180 NB.. I was shooting them with 73gr of R22...

I switched to tge hornady sst... Much better...

But i would reccomend bedding... Those accustocks need it

That's a fairly light barrel with a big cartridge intended for hunting. So, it'll heat quickly.

You might try 3 shot groups with plenty of time to cool.

When you have tight groups with the 5th shot being a flier, it's often the shooter's fault.

Also, using the same die unadjusted with the 165gr vs 180gr isn't the same seating depth since the ogive has a slightly different shape. Even if it was the same shape/depth, the velocity won't be the same and the bullet won't exit the muzzle at the same point in the vibration/whip cycle of the barrel.

Hence, you probably do need to shoot a few groups at various seating depths to find out which one it prefers.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts