110ba barrel life?

I own a .338 lap mag 110 BA. Haven't put round one through it yet. Just curious where you're getting the 1500-2000 round barrel life from?

I own a .338 lap mag 110 BA. Haven't put round one through it yet. Just curious where you're getting the 1500-2000 round barrel life from?

It's kind of a standard for a magnum that size. Because you use a large amount of powder with a smaller diameter bullet, the pressure and heat created in firing can really do damage to the lands. It's one of those things that can be more or less than what I suggest. It depends on bullet, cleaning regimen, and load pressures. You use lighter powder charges and not push the max loading you may go 2000-2500 rounds. You use heavy charges and light bullets, you will probably only get 800-1000rnds. You use a standard load with a standard bullet, then you should get between 1500-2000rnds. Accuracy is what you want it to be also. These numbers correlate to.... say a consistent .2-.3 MOA accuracy. As your barrel wears, you will see a steady drop off in accuracy to .75-1 MOA of accuracy. Some are gradual, other might be a abrupt. It's mostly speculation, but time has shown that 1500-2000rnds is the standard for good honest accuracy in this caliber. It is all determined by the barrel materials used also. There are so many different variables that will determine the longevity of a barrel.

From what I understand and have heard you might plan on giving it a toss in the garbage when new barrel time comes around. I have heard more than once that the receivers and barrels expand so much they cant be rebarreled. Food for thought. They had all run about the 1500 rd mark

From what I understand and have heard you might plan on giving it a toss in the garbage when new barrel time comes around. I have heard more than once that the receivers and barrels expand so much they cant be rebarreled. Food for thought. They had all run about the 1500 rd mark

Now that I don't find to be true at all. A receiver just doesn't expand to a point of non use. Somebody really screwed up if the receiver is shot. I bet you a new rifle when my cousins Lapua needs rebarreled on a Savage target action he'll be able to screw a new tube on w/o a problem.

@liltank thanks a bunch for the info. :) If I shoot the thing as much as my 223 it'll be dead in a few monthes. :rolleyes: $$ will likely prevent that from happening though.

Curious about something else..... You say that Heat plays a large factor..... I shoot often in -40 outdoor temps. Do you think that it might help my barrell life? I've shot 6400 through my Cooper 21 - 223 and it still pulls off .5 moa 5 shot groups @500 yds. Which I'm pretty happy with.

@liltank thanks a bunch for the info. :) If I shoot the thing as much as my 223 it'll be dead in a few monthes. :rolleyes: $$ will likely prevent that from happening though.

Curious about something else..... You say that Heat plays a large factor..... I shoot often in -40 outdoor temps. Do you think that it might help my barrell life? I've shot 6400 through my Cooper 21 - 223 and it still pulls off .5 moa 5 shot groups @500 yds. Which I'm pretty happy with.

Your barrel will heat up in weather that cold depending on how fast you shoot it. You just need to monitor the barrel temperature. If you can touch it w/o it being uncomfortable on your skin, you'll be okay. If you grab the barrel and it feels like its burning your hand, your barrel is too hot and needs to cool down. As long as you can keep your barrel from getting too hot, then that helps in the longevity of the barrel life.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.