110 gr V-Max in 300 RUM

jrusso

Need some input here.

I'm currently shooting a custom 300 RUM, with a 28" 10 twist match barrel. This is not a bench gun, its a long range hunting gun. I'm pushing a 178 gr A-Max with 98 gr of Retumbo at 3500 fps and getting .336" at 100 yards with five shots.

I'm thinking of trying a 110 gr V-Max with the suggested H-4831. What are your thoughts, and has anybody loaded this? This would be a GHog load if it will work.

Your suggestions please.

i tried those 110gr v-max at 4400fps with
my 30-378 and i never hit the target at
100 yards.. im using 150gr ballistic tips
right now..They work good.I wish someone
would make good varmint bullet for the big
.30 cal guns..

one big problem with light bullets is they will be very low when it come to B.C and will drop fast no matter how fast you push them.i go with a heavy bullet and use a range finder.

I've been stretching the 178 A-Max out to 1200 yds on Ghogs, but was looking for a real varmit bullet out to about 500. I like the after effects of the V-Max.

thats what i want also.. max range 500 yards.. and Maximum Destruction.. i have
loads for sierra 240gr mk's for hunting..
and also .338 loads using the 300gr mk..
I have a laser rangefinder also. Im looking
for a giant .220 swift for fun.NO GAME ANIMALS WILL BE TAKEN WITH THIS ROUND!
PLEASE DONT RESPOND WITH THOSE BULLETS ARENT
GOOD FOR LONGRANGE.. I DONT CARE ABOUT LONG
RANGE WITH THIS LOAD!!! THIS IS FOR FUN!!
Now what im looking for is like daryl's .22/.284
40gr ballistic tip set-up, only bigger..
grin.gif

[ 07-26-2004: Message edited by: speed demon ]

There is an artical in the Australian Sporting Shooter mag talking a bit about a group a shooters that use .30-06 loaded with 130 grn Speer or Taipan hollow points for rabbits. Extreamly over gunned but you will definatly kill what you hit, even if it is in small pieces splatted over the ground. But i'm not sure if that is the sorta thing you are after.
grin.gif

[ 07-27-2004: Message edited by: Immortal Wombat ]

Remingtonman 25-06,

What was the load with the 125 gr BT's? I'm looking for little pieces out to 500 yds. I've shot many an animal with the Nosler BT's, and I like them, but I have yet to see something come apart like they do when hit with a V-Max pushed really fast. That's why I wanted to try them.

just put a 16-18 twist on that other rum you have,or,try some of these 150's.you could shoot them maybe 3800 and might not drop any more than those 178's.is all that spray made by the bullet coming apart or does the speed just "vaporize" things?
speed demon, they do make good varmint bullets for the big 30's,you guys just spin em too fast!

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: no.1 whitetail ]

[ 07-28-2004: Message edited by: no.1 whitetail ]

Hey Dave,
I don't want to change barrels on my other RUM, that's a loaner to show others what they are capable of. Remember, Speed Kills.
I'll probably just stick with what I have been using.

yeah,a 178 gr at 3500 shooting in the three's.not too shabby!you probably could get a groundhog's attention.i'll be tickled if i can get my peashooter 6 to shoot that well.

The load I used in my Rem 700 LSS .300 RUM was as follows. 125g BT, 102g RL-22, Rem Case, Fed 215, 3.660" Records show 3/4" 3 shot at 100 yards and 3950fps. I am not joking when I say these will vaporize little critters. I would set up a milk jug filled with water at 100 yards and when you hit that jug, it got there so fast, hit so hard, and just expanded so fast and violently, that all you see is a huge mist cloud of what once was a jug of water. There was literally no water on the wooden pole that I set the jug on. I worked up the load for coyotes only. Lucky for them, I never shot at any, and I only loaded a few of them up just for ***** and giggles. They are to fast of barrel burners for a steady diet. Maybe you can kill a coyote with one and let me know how it turns out.

yea id like to know how good those
125gr ballistic tips expand. I was afraid
they would not expand good since nosler
says they are a hunting bullet.Thats why
i never tried them.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.