11 Colorado points--where to go ?

Hope all that helps

Attachments

• received_10155567287026070.jpeg
    received_10155567287026070.jpeg
    435 KB · Views: 212
Will check those out. Heard of the first one. I had talked with tangleridge outfitters out of graybull.

Just getting an Elk would be nice. Have seen bulls on both of my trips so far. But I either jumped them or they were just too far away. Right now I would only be confident out to 400 yds max. Have taken whitetail out to 325 so with an animal 2.5 times bigger and extra 75 yds should not be a problem. Just have to get to know my rifle at that range .

Just getting an Elk would be nice. Have seen bulls on both of my trips so far. But I either jumped them or they were just too far away. Right now I would only be confident out to 400 yds max. Have taken whitetail out to 325 so with an animal 2.5 times bigger and extra 75 yds should not be a problem. Just have to get to know my rifle at that range .

The bull I took in the picture was at 650 yards up a really steep incline depending on your rifle you should zero at 200 or 300 yards. Then practice shooting with random setups using you backpack, sticks, and bipod in different positions. I practice at 400 and 500 the most as I have found once comfortable at 500 I am pretty consistent to 600 and 700 yard ranges. Mostly it's getting you breathing and everything working together to make the longer shots. I do a little bit of training for other people body position and breathing and finding the right setups is the what most struggle with especially in Michigan as most shots aren't that far here. If you need any tips or help let me know I'll be doing one or 2 days work with my hunting group for 2021 in June July time.

Well depends how big you want and how much you guys want to spend. Trophy mountain outfitters is a good group of guys cost is 4900 per person with them and the granite camp is an awesome experience. If a guided named Landon is there he knows how to get it done. I'll attach the pic of the bull I took with them this year right at 300 inches give or take. The size can vary in this camp alot my buddy shot a smaller 5x5 the was one bigger didn't see that bull until I was setting up on my bull. 13 miles and 3 hours horse back in to camp. The owner of liberty gun safes hunts with these guys every year he was in our camp in granite for elk and every 3rd year I believe he combos deer and elk. I shot my bull here at 650 yards my friends was at 285. You want the opener on Sept 26th no other time as this is the tail of the rut.

Yellowstone Outfitters is really good as well but a really long horse back riding in to camp 8 hours in and it's 28 miles and a 1 mile from Yellowstone park borderline.
They consistently take bulls 320 to 350 and a few above that to 370 or so. Cost is 6000 per person. I have a group of 4 of us going in 2021. The guy that owns trophy mountain used to guide for Yellowstone. Here you can get in and hunt earlier opener is Sept 20th better rut conditions.

Thanks for the info. Went to the Harrisburg show last week and picked up all info I could on Colorado,Wyoming and Idaho outfitters. Guess we can go most anyplace within reason since we have plenty for Colorado and on 2 needed for where we were thinking of going in Wyoming.How many points required where you hunted in Wyoming ?

Thanks for the info. Went to the Harrisburg show last week and picked up all info I could on Colorado,Wyoming and Idaho outfitters. Guess we can go most anyplace within reason since we have plenty for Colorado and on 2 needed for where we were thinking of going in Wyoming.How many points required where you hunted in Wyoming ?
We only needed 2 points for the general license and we got to hunt the rut with rifles but to do that you have to use an outfitter that hunts in a wilderness area like Gros Ventre etc now on top of that some wilderness areas open at different times like the one up close to Yellowstone opens for rifle a week earlier September 19th than Gros Ventre September 26th so in turn the rut is a lot hotter a week earlier hence the choice for us in 2021 after a day of blast in 2017 most bull shut up by mid day of day 2 of our hunt but like I said we tagged out day one so we just were watch other people hunt and hiking around a bit. Check out Swift outfitters as well he's a hard *** but knocks down sum big boys as well and is in between Yellowstone Outfitters and trophy mountain outfitters for price. His area is on the southern end of the national parks. If you would like to talk about it pm me and I can give you a call and give you more info.

We only needed 2 points for the general license and we got to hunt the rut with rifles but to do that you have to use an outfitter that hunts in a wilderness area like Gros Ventre etc now on top of that some wilderness areas open at different times like the one up close to Yellowstone opens for rifle a week earlier September 19th than Gros Ventre September 26th so in turn the rut is a lot hotter a week earlier hence the choice for us in 2021 after a day of blast in 2017 most bull shut up by mid day of day 2 of our hunt but like I said we tagged out day one so we just were watch other people hunt and hiking around a bit. Check out Swift outfitters as well he's a hard *** but knocks down sum big boys as well and is in between Yellowstone Outfitters and trophy mountain outfitters for price. His area is on the southern end of the national parks. If you would like to talk about it pm me and I can give you a call and give you more info.

Cannot seem to locate where to pm here.Have done it in the past.

Don't waste 11 points in NW CO. With the exception of the premier units outside of Dinosaur which take 20 points everything is OCT or leftovers or maybe 1 point. I would look at central to southern Colorado.

Estes Park said their units are higher points. We cannot get 1st rifle but can get 2nd rifle with what we have.

Save your points and keep putting in for area 201. In another 10 to 15 years you may be able to draw. There are a couple of other places but most of those don't require points or have left over the counter tags. Or put in for a ranching for wildlife tag.

Save your points and keep putting in for area 201. In another 10 to 15 years you may be able to draw. There are a couple of other places but most of those don't require points or have left over the counter tags. Or put in for a ranching for wildlife tag.

Don't do it. You'll never get drawn in 30 years from now. I suggest you find another plan. Just my honest opinion. (Like I previously mentioned...I've been doing it for 25 years. I wish I never started now.)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.