10yr old sub moa shooter

SealT5

Took my oldest out Sunday after church to finish fireforming some 22 Dasher brass. He was consistently connecting with the 2" Gong at 200yds. 10 for 10 on the last row of rounds. I'm afraid he is officially hooked and I may no longer own a 22 Dasher! I'm ok with that!

F5A36C09-BB5D-4D67-A9C0-2B62F8AA642A.jpeg
7093B14C-C23B-466B-8EA4-57B9775D6B71.jpeg

That's Great!!!
My grandson at age 8 hit his first exploding target with a 223. He is definitely hooked for life. Bring them up knowing gun safety and respect.
Good job

I agree with you all. The RO was so impressed by him. He makes a living watching grown men waste buckets of brass trying to hit that gong. He will be helping me reload this coming weekend.

Good round for him, my 12 and 9 yo girls shoot my 22-250 bench rifle just like he does...its a 1/4-1/3 moa heavy bench gun and they shoot it well.

At first they were scared as its big/heavy/ and rounds looked big to them, bit after just a few shots they loved it. Their reward at the end of a shooting day is to put an old stuffed animal on top of a 1/4 lb can of tannerite at 200 or 300 yards---- they fight over who gets to go first !! Gotta keep them interested, they get bored quick.

That's great. We have stuffed animals around here called "prairie dogs". I believe that will be our next outing!

This gun doesn't fit him very well but it's a blast to shoot. I've considered building a bench/fclass rifle. I have a PRS style rifle currently being built that should be more suited for him and even my 6yr old.

Good round for him, my 12 and 9 yo girls shoot my 22-250 bench rifle just like he does...its a 1/4-1/3 moa heavy bench gun and they shoot it well.

At first they were scared as its big/heavy/ and rounds looked big to them, bit after just a few shots they loved it. Their reward at the end of a shooting day is to put an old stuffed animal on top of a 1/4 lb can of tannerite at 200 or 300 yards---- they fight over who gets to go first !! Gotta keep them interested, they get bored quick.

That boy, along with everyone else with a pulse, will have an absolute blast laying on a prairie dog town! Many fond memories of doing that when I was growing up. Can't wait till my boys are old enough to partake as well.

This is Awesome. You definitely did it right with the low recoil round and a suppressor on top of that. I had my son shooting subsonic 22 before he could ride a bike. I never let him shoot anything with any recoil that could get him to start flinching. He is 12 now and is very comfortable, consistent and accurate. I never understood why my dad always let me shoot before him until I had my own son, Now I know why.

I agree. I honestly get as much, probably more, enjoyment out of letting my wife and kids hunt or shoot vs doing it myself.

I grew up with a father who took enjoyment out of making me shoot high recoil rifles and shotguns. Luckily I wasn't scared too bad from it. I've noticed with most new shooters they are more scared of the muzzle blast than the recoil. I will always run a suppressor when it's allowed.

A fast twist 224 or a 6mm shooting 80 class bullets is hard to beat for woman and children.

I'm going to give him this rifle probably for his birthday in July. The Tangent Theta is coming off!

Over the last 10 yrs I've watched my two young sons go from to be very good shots and great hunters. It's almost disheartening as now they would rather hunt with their buddies instead of me. Of course we're all hunting as a group but it's no longer them sitting with ol dad on opening morning. But the thrill of hearing them shoot and then the radio coming to life is almost as good.
The one young man that hunts with us killed a very nice 9 point last year with us by the time we got up there to see what he'd killed he was still so shook up . I don't care if I ever kill another animal as long as I can continue to be blessed by these young men and their friends during hunting season
Keep them in the woods learning and you shouldn't have to many problems!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.