10X at 1000 yds

BCBRAD

Any thoughts on this, I have a 2.5x10x44 Vortex PST that's going on a Tikka/Tac in 300Win Mag.

I don't know what you will be shooting at 1000 yds. but if it is a target just think of how the bullseye will look through no magnification at 100yds., or rather put up a target at 100 just to see what you will be seeing at 1000. If you have young eyes and are talking big game 10X is probably enough. I have shot medium sized does at 600 with a 4X but I was a lot younger then and wouldn't consider it now. There was a time I could shoot a good military surplus rifle with original iron sights right along side my brothers scoped remingtion shot for shot at 400 but not now. Also, it is a matter of choice and personal wants and needs. If you are wanting to hit small targets/objects at this distance I would recommend higher magnification.

Any thoughts on this, I have a 2.5x10x44 Vortex PST that's going on a Tikka/Tac in 300Win Mag.

If you have it, try it - it isn't a permanent decision.

If it doesn't work for you / fit your needs, take it off and buy a shorter range rifle to put it on! Then buy a higher mag scope for your long range rig. WIN WIN.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.