10X at 1000 yds

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by BCBRAD, Nov 5, 2013.

1. BCBRAD

BCBRAD New Member

Any thoughts on this, I have a 2.5x10x44 Vortex PST that's going on a Tikka/Tac in 300Win Mag.

2. NomadPilot

NomadPilot Well-Known Member

Guys shoot iron sights at 1K. It'll work if your target is big enough.

3. Gunpoor

Gunpoor Well-Known Member

I don't know what you will be shooting at 1000 yds. but if it is a target just think of how the bullseye will look through no magnification at 100yds., or rather put up a target at 100 just to see what you will be seeing at 1000. If you have young eyes and are talking big game 10X is probably enough. I have shot medium sized does at 600 with a 4X but I was a lot younger then and wouldn't consider it now. There was a time I could shoot a good military surplus rifle with original iron sights right along side my brothers scoped remingtion shot for shot at 400 but not now. Also, it is a matter of choice and personal wants and needs. If you are wanting to hit small targets/objects at this distance I would recommend higher magnification.

4. varmintH8R

varmintH8R Well-Known Member

If you have it, try it - it isn't a permanent decision.

If it doesn't work for you / fit your needs, take it off and buy a shorter range rifle to put it on! Then buy a higher mag scope for your long range rig. WIN WIN.