10GXP3 vs. 10FP

NuckingFuts

Im new here so hello to all,

Im also a greenhorn looking to make my first purchase to shoot primarily for target (and eventually a competition here and there) and possibly some bore/deer hunting on occasion. I was suggested the Savage .308 package rifle 10GXP3 obviously because I have a limited line of credit with the Federal Bank of Wifes. After having done a bit of poking around I am also considering the 10FP which I would spend just as much on but w/o a scope. So, just looking at the two rifles alone how do they compare?
Is the 10GXP3 good enough to get me in the door until I can save for a proper sight/mount/rings or would I be significantly better off with the 10FP?

Im looking forward to learning and participating with the folks here.

Quick link to both rifles

10GXP3
http://www.savagearms.com/10gxp3.htm
10FP
http://www.savagearms.com/10fp.htm

The scope and rings on the Savage package rifles are worth nothing in my opinion. The 12FV is cheaper than the 10FP and essentially the same rifle(2" longer barrel and no blacked out bolt). Any of the three would get you started but I would definately buy scope and rings seperate from the rifle.

Thanks for the money saving tip on the 12FV, sounds like a better deal over the 10FP. But Im still unsure as to the performance difference of the 10GXP3 vs. the 10FP (or the 12FV). Can you guys give some input?

No inherent performance difference between two. The model 10 sporter will weigh less than the 10FP/12FV with the varmint weight barrel. The Stevens 200 is the same rifle as the Savage 11F minus the accutrigger if you want a cheap sporter weight rifle(~$300).

I have a .308 12fv that shoots great to 500 yards(as far as I have shot it). For the purposes you describe I would go with the 12fv with the heavier and longer barrel.

What kind of distance are you hoping to shoot and what is a rough budget? That might help get you better suggestions.

Last edited:
Get a Stevens 200 for $250. Spend the extra money on good rings, bases, and scope. You can always screw on another barrel and upgrade stocks later.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.