105 gr Berger or the 105 gr Hornady bthp?

platapus

I am having a 6mm Creedmore built and have a long wait. I have done some searching on both but haven't found anything comparing the two. Is the $10 per box more for the Bergers really worth it or are the Hornady's just as good. Has anyone shot both and now prefer one over the other?

I shoot the 105 Berger target hybrid in my 6mm-284. The suggested BC of .547 matches my comeups. As predicted the hybrid bullet was very easy to load. I decided to make this rifle a repeater in a SA Rem. Even with a Wyatt's mag box the jump to rifling was .065". Didn't have to do a thing but work up powder charges.

You can be the first to compare the two. Based on other bullets made by Hornady, I would predict the BC of the 105 HPBT to be lower than advertised.

Shoot both and let us know. Or just go with the Berger.

I have tested the 105 hornady hpbt and Amax, berger hunting vld, berger hybrid, and 107 SMK all in one setting from my 6br. Using a very heavy charge of Re17, the same charge for all bullets though, and the same seating depth, .020" jam.
Results.
600yrds <2 mph wind 63*
Hornady hpbt match 3030fps avg 4.88" group for 5 shots
Amax 3020fps avg 2.78" 5 shot
Berger hunting vld 3060fps avg 4.16" 5 shot
Berger hybrid 3070fps avg 2.86" 5 shot
Sierra matchking 107 3010fps avg-horrible! Well over moa

The only two bullets of the 5 that didn't hit within 1/4" with the same dialup were the Berger hybrids (1.5" high) and the 107 SMKs (1" low)
Hope this helps, if I were only shooting to 750yrds my choice would be the Amax beyond that the Berger Hybrid.

No problem, just data I collected when trying to decide what bullet I will be using in the little 6br in a few 1k matches this year.

I am having a 6mm Creedmore built and have a long wait. I have done some searching on both but haven't found anything comparing the two. Is the $10 per box more for the Bergers really worth it or are the Hornady's just as good. Has anyone shot both and now prefer one over the other?

I shoot the 107 SMK in 6br they were more accurate than the hornady or bergers. As observed by Backwoods the 107s shot like **** in mine when jammed pull them off the lands and they shot lights out

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.