104 Pound Coyote

To my knowledge, after speaking with many wildlife biologists over the years, there has never been conclusive scientific evidence that coyote and dogs have ever successfully bred. Given that evidence, coydogs are a myth.

Canid hybrid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Coydogs (Comments)

Coyotes aren't a canine - much like hare aren't rabbits. Separate species rarely are able to successfully breed, else we'd see half turkey/half grouse or half antelope/half mule deer.

then your biologist needs to head to the midwest! They are everywhere, and some get to be pretty big. The first thing you notice is that they are not afraid of humans. Yet they hunt just like a coyote, and often will be seen running with them
gary

Wherever the chromosomes came from, it has to be part wolf.

I know when I was living in waaaay upstate NY one of the locals was telling me about a problem with the inbreeding of the Red Wolf and coyotes in the area. The reds would cross the St. Lawrence during the freeze and mingle with the local population. This caused them to take on some of the techniques or instinct of wolves and become more aggressive and pack hunters.

This old boy had his conspiracy theory that might be on the right track. If the DNR recognized a true Red Wolf/Coyote breed then they were afraid of the political ramifications and protections incurred when the word got out they were shooting "Wolves."

We'll see what the DNR officially calls this one:)

I don't think that is a coyote either

I deer hunted a place about 10 years ago that had an all red and an all black coyote running around. I had talked to the land owner about them and he said they had been there for several years that he new of, and that I could not shoot any coyotes because they kept the little critter population down.

They say no mountain lions here in OK also but in the news a couple of hunters from CO came here for some deer hunting with family and got busted for shooting a mountain lion and taking it to a taxidermist to have it mounted.

My brother lives in KC and the Kansas game fish and parks he thinks lies to everyone. He lives by a huge outdoor park and people have seen mountain lions around there but game and fish say they don't exist. Finally someone hit one that was collared and all of a sudden game and fish say they are in state. Now a WOLF shows up and the state tests it and says its a unusually large coyote. Government wants all the animals like they used to be. ok im fine with that, but if you want it like it used to be let the forest fires burn all the trees down like it used to be! what i mean is 300 years ago when we had forest fires no one put them out they burned out and made new growth. Why not let it burn now then.

Last edited:
I just heard one day last week that the mdc got test results back on this animal. They reported that dna testing revealed that this is a great lakes wolf, probably from minnnesota, they also said this wolf also contained some coyote dna which is supposed to be common with these wolves. I know this is an old thread but thought some of you would like to know.

I just heard one day last week that the mdc got test results back on this animal. They reported that dna testing revealed that this is a great lakes wolf, probably from minnnesota, they also said this wolf also contained some coyote dna which is supposed to be common with these wolves. I know this is an old thread but thought some of you would like to know.

Thanks for the update. That makes a lot more sense to me.

Jeff

That's no suprise to some of us Montana boys. Cowboy, BIGNGREEN, and a few of us that are in the hills all the time definately know a wolf when we see one, because it happens all the time, and often in places that "have zero wolf population." Fish n Game, DNR and the rest of the goverment agencies are all subject to politics, and thus, rarely have an honest clue of whats really going on in the field. When they do actually know whats going on, they rarely tell the rest of us the truth about it anyway. The point is- if ya see a turd in the trail that Fish n Game says is a rock... I still wouldn't step on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.