101 reloading powders

Hb1776

So I am trying to learn about reloading so really my biggest question at the moment my mentor is telling me that I need such and such powder for different loads so for a example let's say a h380 powder what dose the h and the 380 Designate is there a system that would tell you why that powder would be optimal for different bullets gains,calibers and conditions?

No offense, I would start with reading a reloading manual first or signing up for a beginners class for reloading @ a Sportsmans Warehouse or similar sporting goods store. Learn the basics before u jump into this IMO.

Read everything you can get your hands on. Lots of info on various web sites. Lots of on-line data from Hodgdon & Nosler that lists various loads. There are probably more combos of powders, bullets, and calibers than could be listed. Buying the annual Hodgdon soft cover magazine type manual is a good move - it describes various Hodgdon, IMR, & Winchester powders. Various manuals by Hornady, Berger, Western & Sierra are good reads and explain much. In regard to H380, the "H" stands for Hodgdon & the 380 is an arbitrary label having some reference to the powder charge for some .22 bullet loaded for the .22-.250. The on-line Western powder manual, RamShot Powders, is a good read and has good illustrations & explanations. Get a general feel of how stuff works by reading manuals and asking questions.

Be cautious, conservative & safe. Verify everything. Ask lots of questions.

The naming conventions can mean a lot of different things. Essentially don't worry about that, it will be of no benefit to you.

Read a few manuals. For whatever cartridges you are loading for look at the powders listed. Research these forums for what others like to use.

Put what you've read in the book and online together to start working towards a safe load looking for your accuracy goals.

But it's funny you referenced H380. In this case Hodgdon is the H and the 380 is because when the guy developed this powder the first group he shot with it from his 22-250 put 3 into the same hole with 38.0 grains. So as you can see, there's nothing logical about the naming conventions.

My advice is to buy the manual put out by the bullet manufacturer you intend using.
I have Nosler, Speer, Sierra, Berger and Woodleigh.
Then there are the powder manufacturers, they supply data to a given bullet weight, this may differ dramatically from the bullet manufacturer data and you need to peruse both to scope what is safe.
Read then front to back SEVERAL times until you can memorise the info...mistakes can be costly. Like, NEVER have 2 DIFFERENT powder kegs on the bench at any one time.
ONLY have the powder you are loading on the bench.

Cheers.

The H in H380 stands for Hodgdon the 380 was the name designated to the then new powder when Bruce Hodgdon shot 38.0 grains of this powder into a .1 group in his 22-250 a then wildcat for shooting varmints. This is in the older Hodgdon reloading manuals #25 or 26 or maybe even both I'd have to check.
Everything you can want to know about reloading, ballistics testing procedures and common practices can be found in reloading manuals. Stop looking on the internet as more than half of the crap spewed are by people that are down right dangerous when it comes to this type of information.
You are setting off an explosion 5-15 inches from your eyes and head. Don't think that Joe Smo in the interwebs gives 2 sh*ts about you or your safety

purchase several books on handloading and several reloading manuals read all of them then come back at us with what ever questions you may have not trying to be an as- but this will be the best thing you can do

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.