101 Hammers in .308 ?

Sorry it took a while to respond. Been busy.
We've tested the 101s up to 4400 fps. The 101 has very little shank for penetration relative to it's size. At hyper velocity, the bullet basically collapses in on itself. It was described as a "flying ashtray".
At hyper velocity, the permanent wound cavity radiates outward moreso than inward in the classic Hammer style. The bullet basically becomes a bomb - and does excessive meat damage, again very unlike regular Hammer performance.
This is why we recommend holding back on velocity with this particular Hammer. I arbitrarily chose 3200 as a recommended general speed - because we haven't tested them down that "slow"!!!!
Sounds like they work fine at 3400. Remember, the 101 was developed for the 300 Blackout, and speeds in the mid 2000's.
Would love to have load data for the 101 in the .308! I'll post it to share with others😁
If you're chasing speed, the 124 does fine in performance up to 4200 fps
The numbers really sound awsome though!

"The bullet basically becomes a bomb - and does excessive meat damage, again very unlike regular Hammer performance."

This is certainly the case with the buck at 40 yards. Literally most of the ribs on the impact side were broken! I think the deer died from the high velocity impact, rather than the bullet penetrating. The 75 yard doe was different. The bullet traveled through 10" of chest and another 4" of soft soil. it weighs 61 grains.

Stupid fast, bomb and "Flying Ashtray" are all new terms for our reloading talk vocabulary.
It sounds like Hammers can be driven at previously unheard of speeds for a given cartridge or case capacity.

Absolute Hammers maybe faster. Creating Insane speeds and a good excuse to rebarrell then try again.

@GLTaylor , @just_jon has provided some data for the 101's in .30 Cal.

I plan to test loads in .308 using 101's but I only have a small sample ATM.

Jon's data shows our home grown AR2206H is still very versatile and will possibly produce speeds in excess of 3400, where your 3200 may well be sufficient. I've seen a BT blow up on the outside of a pig at close range where the same load penetrates drops them once some velocity washes off.

It was a shoulder pad where it had erratic expansion. It wasn't a big pig and it slowed it but it was not the fatal shot and I dont know what penetration it got.

Anyways, I think starting at 3200might be ok in a .308, reasonable trajectory and hopefully decent penetration at 100. With light recoil.

As for some of the others I would like to see what velocity I get over a chronograph on the range.

I would like to have one of my rifles shooting fast and flat for longer shots without having to think to much to 300-350

Ive heard the term
"Aim on Hair not Air"

We've tested the 101s up to 4400 fps. The 101 has very little shank for penetration relative to it's size. At hyper velocity, the bullet basically collapses in on itself. It was described as a "flying ashtray".
At hyper velocity, the permanent wound cavity radiates outward moreso than inward in the classic Hammer style. The bullet basically becomes a bomb - and does excessive meat damage, again very unlike regular Hammer performance.
This is why we recommend holding back on velocity with this particular Hammer. I arbitrarily chose 3200 as a recommended general speed - because we haven't tested them down that "slow"!!!!
Sounds like they work fine at 3400. Remember, the 101 was developed for the 300 Blackout, and speeds in the mid 2000's.
Would love to have load data for the 101 in the .308! I'll post it to share with others😁
^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^

Members have been sharing developed load data. Go to the Hammer Hunter Load Data and Absolute Hammer Load Data threads on this Forum and enjoy!
There is also a huge amount of test data on the Hammertime Forum.
There is a small group of dedicated shooters who are/and have done a lot of testing.
Some of this is velocity based, some is penetration tests (gelatin and live animals). Farleg has developed "velocity brackets" indicating preferred results for terminal performance using Hammers.
You that are new to Hammers have a bit of interesting reading to do! Enjoy!
Regarding Absolutes, yes, they offer "free" speed increase based upon their design. They require MUCH faster powders and good neck tension to perform optimally. Also, we have learned that Absolutes lose their speed advantage over Hammer Hunters at about 95 gr of powder capacity and above.

Good to know. I was thinking about using these in my 30-06 for hogs but might just stick with the 124s I've been testing, I need the penetration on the big boars.

Felt recoil for the 124's even driven hard in an '06 is still substantially less than say a standard 168 grain load, I suspect the same would be the same in a 308. But I do understand wanting to use what you have to experiment just maybe take the "bomb" comment of GLTaylor to heart when shooting an animal and potential that may come from pushing the limits.

Felt recoil for the 124's even driven hard in an '06 is still substantially less than say a standard 168 grain load, I suspect the same would be the same in a 308. But I do understand wanting to use what you have to experiment just maybe take the "bomb" comment of GLTaylor to heart when shooting an animal and potential that may come from pushing the limits.
Yes, I've seen a 168 gnballistic tip break up on a Boar shoulder. More of a crater than a hole or penetration.

I've read you can use these 124gn Hammer on Buffalo and get great penetration.