100grain .257 matchkings on red stags?

nowler

my 25-06 is spitting these things out at 3300 or so fps and has knocked over red stags with neck shots no probs at all.

question is, has anyone used these heads on heart/lung shots on big deer, and if so, what results?

ta

derek

Derek

I believe you'll find that on thins site there will be a lot of folks that have killed critters with heart/lung shots using MatchKings. I've killed hundreds of whitetail deer with MatchKings, never the 25 caliber versions but in .223, .243, .264, .308 and .338.

The only ones I've had "difficulty" with were the .264 versions and the reasons are still a mystery to me.

I'd be curious to know as well. My sendero groups themn nice and tight. I have a feeling it will shoot the accubonds pretty well to. If you can get the accuracy out of the accubond it may be a better choice--it also weighs 10 grains more.

ah well boys

i'll give them a go on saturday and see what happens.... i'll let you's know the results

derek

I have shot qutie a few red and fallow deer with 243 winchester factory 100 grainers and hornady 100gr interlock handloads with no problems.On a trip in the south island(New Zealand) my guide took a fallow buck at 340 meters,it dropped right there.

I have used them on antelope with great results. Shots have all been pass throughs with devastation. The only time I have hit a bone was once on a spine shot so it is difficult to say how well it does under really tough circumstances.
Pronghorn antelope are really small, light framed and do not handle a hit well. I don't know anything about Red Stag to give an opinion on how they would work with them.

just for your info guys

stags yesterday, one neck shot at 250yards and one chest shot at190 yards

both dropped on the spot. devastating effects on the animals

i'll be sticking to these matchkings for everything now....

derek

Nowler,
Just to make your life interesting, Nosler has just introduced a 110 grain Accubond in the .25 caliber. Should be another good choice for your hunting when they become available.
Thanks for the info on the stags, good shooting!

Ian,
Do you have any information on the 110 grain Accubond? I checked the nosler web site and did not see anything about it.

I just know that they made some. I have some coming for test shooting this week. Expect they will be shipping the also. Sometimes takes a while for them to get stuff into websites. Bet that Midway would know their status.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.