1000yd steel gong

300weatherby7

I have a 36" diameter, 1/2" thick steel cover off of one of those huge fuel tanks. I was wondering if this would work as a 1000yard target? I know it is mild steel, but 1000yds is a long ways.

I run a 300 Jazz pushing 215's @ 3100 and they don't punch through at 900 yards with mild steel. They completely warped the target and put some big dents in it, but they will not go through. Maybe my targets are a little harder than others.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try and see what my 300wby will do! In the mean time ill look arourn or some AR steel

Our 1st steel targets were cut from an old loader bucket. Under 800y we could punch holes. Beyond that we could not. They took a terrible beating. We finally got some ar500. Can't hurt this. Although we never shoot it under 600y. The ar500 is much louder on the bullet strikes, which is nice.

Steve

I would set it up and shoot it, see what it does. What do you have to lose? It's free and a chunk of certified AR500 even 20"x20" is going to be a little costly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.