1000yd 7mm Rem Mag

Just ordered some Berger 180gr VLD Hunting bullets, IMR 7828 SCC Powder, and Norma brass. Hopefully I can come up with at least 3000fps. But before all that is done I still need to get a barrel, and has anyone had experience with glass bedding a regular Rem 700 stock?
I wouldn't waste the money if it just a cheap factory plastic Remington stock, like on the ADL, or BDL rifles of yesteryear.

I'd invest in a B&C Medalist stock then glassbed it, since you're talking about making a nice rifle, spend a little more and get a nice stock.

Unless your rifle came from Remington with an HS Precision stock, in which case I would use that stock. But it would have had to be a Sendero or one of the higher end models to have one of those.

I also just bumped into a Whidden Gunworks V-Block. Looks fairly simple to me
Whidden Gunworks
I've talked to my smitha bout installing one of those into a wooden vintage BDL stock I have... He says it wouldn't be worth it unless it was a custom stock. The money involved to mill it out, fit it, and epoxy it in wouldn't be worth it. You'd have more money invested than just buying a whole new stock that already has an aluminum block in it.

Bell & Carlson Medalist

Just ordered some Berger 180gr VLD Hunting bullets, IMR 7828 SCC Powder, and Norma brass. Hopefully I can come up with at least 3000fps. But before all that is done I still need to get a barrel, and has anyone had experience with glass bedding a regular Rem 700 stock?

Ya I have experience bedding Remingtons with my Dad.

In my custom 7 9twist 26" barrel im pushing 180 hybrids at 3005 with ease. Norma brass is pretty consistent but i found if you want to run max loads your primer pockets will loosen up after a couple loads. And in alberta paying $250 for 100pc of brass that only lasted 3 firings max (near max loads), not worth it. I switched to winchester brass and gained velocity over norma brass, due to pressure, and am on my 5th reload and the brass is still strong. And win brass i bought 100 for $80-$100, cant remember.

Just my experience. Good luck with your build!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts