1000yd 308 mag fed bullet advice

BPilgrim

Hello chaps,

First post on here, I've been reading around this forum for months, thought I'd at last register!

I'm after some help finding basically, a 'stubby' bullet... or rather a bullet with a short meplat to ogive distance. (I wish the manufacturers would list it!) The rifle is a CZ550VK .308 1:12, it doesn't like rounds dropped in, and I don't want to file the extractor, so mag fed it is... Due to availability and prices over here, I'm limited to Sierra and Hornady. I did try some recommended Berger 185gr LR, but my rifle didn't like them, which was quite good because they were very expensive ($67/100).

Best results so far have been with a 168gr A-Max, but only at 600 yards, they did a fantastic 2.361" group, but the rest were quite a bit worse at around 7" (It was my first time shooting over 300yds... so likely my fault)

Min weight is 168gr, and I load hot so I reckon I can stabilise a 190 ok, so with availability I have the choice of: 168, 175 and 190 SMK's or the 168, 178 A-max

The BCs seem to increase with weight as expected, but I wondered if anyone knew if they had different profiles? I imagine it varies with brand more than weight, so for a like-for-like comparison has anyone compared the ogive location of the 168 SMK vs 168 A-max?

For information the ogive on the 185gr Berger LR was 60 thou further back than on the 168 A-Max. With my mag feeding requirement, I was jumping the 168's 30thou (for that fantastic group) and the 185's seated to the same OAL, were jumping 90 thou. (My mag limits me to 2.850" OAL)

(Those new tactical Bergers would be ideal but they are $90 per 100 heads so they're out the question, unless I want to go to the range to shoot 10 rounds!)

Powder is limited to Vhita Vouri or however you spell it, currently on Vit 550.

Thanks for any advice,
Ben

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.