1000Y challenge! Test your 1st shot hit capabillity.

Thanks Greg for your insight. Spotters are a very good way of determine actual wind drift and drop under the current conditions.

I am still a bit curious why nobody has taken the challenge since there should be plenty of candidates according to the replies in the thread; How long will you shoot at a deer...

A bit strange if it's more challenging and a tougher accomplishment to hit a stillstanding steelplate than it is shooting at and hitting a live deer with ones 1st round.
Why should any of us travel hundreds or thousands of miles to prove something to you?

Who said anything about travveling anywhere ??

You're more than welcome to make sharp replies to yours truly, after having read the thread and its purpose. If you feel the task is flawed in anyway I'm all ears.

But I'll repeat the challenge to you since it escaped you the first time.

Your normal 1000y range, valley, field, sandbank whereever.

Steel plate/papertarget equalling deer vitals @ 1000y, 1 shot each day, 1st cold bore shot, unlimited time.

Last edited:
I am still a bit curious why nobody has taken the challenge since there should be plenty of candidates according to the replies in the thread; How long will you shoot at a deer...

If the average LR shooter gets out shooting 1 or 2 times per week, then it might take 5-10 weeks to get 10 cold-bore shots, 1 per day, at 1000...

I'll try this test this weekend and film it in HD. It just so happens that my steel hangs at 1150 yds...but I've got a range finder that's more than capable of accurate, pin point, repeatable ranges on game out to much farther than I would shoot.

I don't have a 7" plate. But I've got a 10" donught with a 5" plate behind it.

I'll hang this in front of our 4' x 5' steel for a "sub MOA" and "sub 1/2 MOA" test and see how well first round hits are.
It'll be my first time chasing accurate 1st round hits, but ya gotta start somewhere, right!

Who said anything about travveling anywhere ??

You're more than welcome to make sharp replies to yours truly, after having read the thread and its purpose. If you feel the task is flawed in anyway I'm all ears.

But I'll repeat the challenge to you since it escaped you the first time.

Your normal 1000y range, valley, field, sandbank whereever.

Steel plate/papertarget equalling deer vitals @ 1000y, 1 shot each day, 1st cold bore shot, unlimited time.
I met that "challenge" many years ago.

If you have a sub MOA weapon/load, know the range and wind the rest us just marksmanship.

As for my replies, I've read this thread and all of your posts and I'll reply as I see fit within the rules of this site.

Why should any of us travel hundreds or thousands of miles to prove something to you?

?????

All I gotta drive is 500 yards from where I'm typing this! At present I'm 75 yards from my 1500 yard line!

[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6785987008/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame]
[ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/61286670@N08/6785987008/"]Flickr: Page Not Found[/ame] by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

A bit strange if it's more challenging and a tougher accomplishment to hit a stillstanding steelplate than it is shooting at and hitting a live deer with ones 1st round.

The answer is simple because it is not easy to do you will have to try it yourself to know what you are asking. I have been trying this test on and off with different rifles. My conclusion is I do not care what ballistic program you are using, what barrel, bullet, and caliber you are shooting. Your bullet will not fly the exact same today as it will tomorrow and the next day at 1000 yards and every 100 yards past 1000 yards it gets worse. There will be a difference and how much of a difference will depend on the conditions meaning the temp, humidity, pressure, wind, and mirage. Now add in the human factor of how do you feel that day? Is your mind clear? Are you in the zone? Did you break the trigger just like you are supposed to? If it was easy to do the 1000 yard BR guys would have it down by now and would not need sighters they would get to the line dial up and shoot. I would say a high percentage of long range shots past 800 yards are not a one shot one kill let's be honest about that some require a correction and a follow up shot. I am not saying it cannot be done or has not been done I am saying past 800 yards a high percentage are not first round cold bore hits. I would be willing to post my results over the course of the summer since I will be shooting this shot anyway but it would be on my own time and not for any contest, money or bragging rights. I did this test at 600 yards all summer long last year and I shot 1 to 2 cold bore shots a week. After having done that I feel I can make most shots at that range under most conditions. That being said 1000 yards has a way different set of rules even 800 yards has its own rules.

If one ever watches a 1000-yard scope sight match where folks lay down and shoot prone then keep track of where their first sighter shot goes relative to the target's 10-inch X ring, here's what their notes will say. Note that this applies to a wide range of atmospheric conditions; temperature, altitude, and wind speed/direction.

At 1000 yards, about 5 to 7 percent of the top classified shooters will put their first shot in that X ring. In the USA as well as other countries using the same target for their long range matches, those top classified competitors represent about 5% of all competitors. All of which means that 3 or 4 out of a thousand competitors will put their first bullet someplace in that 10 inch circle. I doubt the long range hunters on this planet will do any better.

Biggest error is in correcting for wind. It's impossible to accurately determine the wind speed and direction for every yard of range between muzzle and target. So it's only an educated guess to predict what the wind drift will be at long range for a given bullet at a given muzzle velocity. The higher the average wind speed is the harder it gets. And it will usually change a little bit between the time the bullet left the barrel and when it reaches the target.

Regarding the repeatable accuracy of shots from only cold bores, if the atmospheric conditions remained constant, all the shots from cold bores would equal the accuracy of what several shots from hot bores would produce. Those top ranked long range competitors mentioned above use barrels that are properly stress relieved and fitted to receivers such that they don't change impact significantly as the barrel heats up. They'll start with a cold barrel then shoot 15 to 30 shots and no corrections are needed for the barrel heating up; excellent accuracy's maintained.

I had not shot my 6X284 since last year so i wanted to check the sights. I pulled out the gun and decided to do a cold bore shot @ 650yds. Hit dead nuts first shot after standing in the corner for over a year. So i decided to do a cold bore shot the next day @ 800yds. Hit 1 1/2 inches low left of aimpoint. Next day @ 1K hit about 4" right of aimpoint.

I was happy with these results, but have to say, the weather was perfect, except for the 800 yd shot. there was a full value wind at about 5mph. i might try this for 10 days and see what happens AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.