1000 yd shooting

You don't need to try to click up and check it.

If the rifle and scope are properly aligned and level the plum line will be perfectly verticle and in alignment with the center cross hair.

Unless the scope is busted that will not change when you dail up/down.

Wild Rose, Before I went to NF scopes I have seen some scopes with the reticle mounted in them a bit canted. You could visually line it all up and all was good until you started cranking up elevation. Then it started off at an angle. This is why I like to do the plumbob thing, shoot , then crank it up and shoot again to see if it remains on the plum line. This will reviel any undetectable monsters hidden in the scope as well as varifying your scope in true and plum.

Jeff

I am lucky to have my deck facing a neighbors house 100 yds. away. I set my rifle on my table with a B-Square attached to my 20 MOA Picatinny rail. When I have the rifle level I line up the vertical reticle with the edge of his house which I put a 4' level on to make sure that it was plumb. I rotate the scope in the rings until it lines up perfectly to the edge of the house. Then I tighten the rings to hold the scope "snug". I then run the reticle all the way up and down. When I am sure the reticle is perfect I tighten the rings and then double check that it stays perfect. Then I put a scope tube bubble on the scope tube and adjust it to the B-Square bubble level. This has worked for me for at least 4 rifles.

When I shoot at long range like 1,000 yds. all I have to adjust for spin drift and wind.

Here is my setup:

joseph

Attachments

• vortex bubble level 1-1.JPG
    vortex bubble level 1-1.JPG
    89.7 KB · Views: 70
  • setup 2.jpg
    setup 2.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 58
spin drift also take in rotation of the earth. its turning when the bullets in flight so your target is moved since you fired the round. calculate speed of bullet to figure time in flight to target to adjust.

spin drift also take in rotation of the earth. its turning when the bullets in flight so your target is moved since you fired the round.

I think you are confusing "spin drift" with the "Coriolis drifts" Two different things that both can be part of the shooting solution.

Jeff

its spin drift dew to the magnus effect. The bullet is reacting with gravity kind of like a spinning top. if you had a left hand twist it would do the opposite

My process for setting up a scope.

1) Set gun on rests with the scope bases installed and the bottom half of the rings firmly attached.

2) Set a carpenters level across the rings and tweek the gun untill it is plumb with the world.

3) Without moving the gun, place the scope in the rings and set the carpenters level on the top of the elevation turret. Now, I use mostly Nightforce NSX scopes which has a generous flat on the top ot the turret, which makes for a good serface to set the level.....and adjust till it, too, is plumb with the world.

4) Set the tops of the rings in place and tighen to taste.

As far as spin drift.....it should be constant regaurdless of environmental perameters and direction of fire, so once you have the numbers, you have the numbers. This and coriolis (sp) effect, in my mind at least, are critical for making first shot hits waaaayyyy out there. Someday I will get this stuff figured out.

This krap is fun, isn't it!!! :D

1) Set gun on rests with the scope bases installed and the bottom half of the rings firmly attached.

2) Set a carpenters level across the rings and tweek the gun untill it is plumb with the world.

3) Without moving the gun, place the scope in the rings and set the carpenters level on the top of the elevation turret. Now, I use mostly Nightforce NSX scopes which has a generous flat on the top ot the turret, which makes for a good serface to set the level.....and adjust till it, too, is plumb with the world.

As far as spin drift.....it should be constant regaurdless of environmental perameters and direction of fire, so once you have the numbers, you have the numbers. This and coriolis (sp) effect, in my mind at least, are critical for making first shot hits waaaayyyy out there. Someday I will get this stuff figured out.

actually no. wind effects spin drift not just horizontally but also vertically. if the wind is from the left the bullets impact will drop if its from the right it will rise.
other than that on a still day, with no wind, your correct

Why does every one think your gun has to be level IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THE GUN IS LEVEl! As long as your cross hairs r traveling straight up and down with what ever level you have mounted to your scope. If you have a level mounted to your rifle and not your scope then your rifle should be level in theory.

Doing it the way stated above will not get your + plum. if the + r not plum with the scope cap then you will be off. this is just a ruff way of doing it and maybe get u close.

best way to align your + is to use a plum line and align your + with it at 100 yards and then shoot at a plum line on cardboard. shot at a spot on the line down low on the cardboard and then adjust up and shot at the same spot for , 10MOA ,20MOA,30MOA if every shot stay on the line then your good to go.

your gun still needs to be level. if your bore is not in plain with the retical you will have issues

your gun still needs to be level. if your bore is not in plain with the retical you will have issues

Exactly right...your cross hair not only needs to be plumb with the world....it MUST be plumb with your bore!! I thought that at least that point was a universal givin.

Guess not.:rolleyes:

actually no. wind effects spin drift not just horizontally but also vertically. if the wind is from the left the bullets impact will drop if its from the right it will rise.
other than that on a still day, with no wind, your correct

How much? My guess is that it is a (small) percentage of the hoazontal drift.

Lets say a 10 mph nine oclock cross at 1200 yards with a RHT 1-10. How much spin drift with and with out the wind.
Can you calculate off of a program?

Lets throuw a number out there...lets say on a zero wind day that the above shot will give you 8" of drift to the right. The next shot is taken in the 10MPH cross. Will the 8 inches of hoazontal drift drop to ...say 5 inches and the other three inches ends up as drop?

You guys are freakin me out here!!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.