1000 yards?

eferry

2 quick questions. I am new to the board and trying to learn as much as possible, so please bear with my ignorance.

I recently purchased a Remington Sendero SF2 (300 Ultra) with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 w/ M1 elevation and windage turrets. Purpose for this purchase was to be a good all-around big game gun (deer, elk, moose, etc) Figure on shooting 200g SMK or Accubonds.

I have not purchased rings or bases yet because the scope is being made at Leupold's Custom Shop in the next 4-6 weeks. My 2 questions are:

1. With the current rifle and scope, can I get out to 1000 yards?
2. Will I need an MOA base to achieve this or can I go with Standard Bases?

All responses are appreciated. Thanks,

I think the scope you mentioned has about 120 moa of elevation. Roughly half for up and I'd think 60 moa would get you there on a standard base. Hopefully other's will comment.

My 50/90 Shiloh does this fairly easy from 1000 yards shooting a 720 gr. all-lead cast bullet using blackpowder so I don't think you'll have any trouble with your 300 Ultra! It wouldn't hurt for you to stick a 20 MOA base on it though!

rings and bases?

What base would be the way to go, given that I am shooting a 300 Ultra with a 4.5-14 x 50? (20MOA or Standard)

If so, what bases do you guys recommend for a 700 LA?

Keeping in mind that my goal is to take my maximum to 1000 yards.

I"ve ran a few cartridges out to 1K and I've never had to use a 20 MOA base with any of them when using any Leupold scope, from 243 w/105 amaxs on up to 338 EDGE lobbing 300g SMK's, and a few more inbetween.

I had a leupold vari x II, 6-18 on my 300 RUM with leupolds standard base/ring setup and it worked out to 1200 yards which was as far as I could shoot at the time. Zero was 200 or 300 yards most of the time. I still had a few Minutes left. With my 338 EDGE I am currently running a VX3 6.5-20x50LR, SF, 30mm with leupolds PRW base/rings which is basically there version of weaver style. With a 200y zero with the 300g SMK at 2825fps, I'm maxed out at about 1350 yards on my vx3. To shoot a mile, I"m gonna need the 20 MOA base and maybe zero at 300 yards.

With the 300 RUM being very flat shooting, and Leupold scopes having a generous amount of MOA, you dont need 20 MOA bases to reach 1K.

The reason for a 20 MOA base is to keep your scope more optically centered when shooting at that distance. Get a canted base.

I agree with the last post to get a canted base. While a standard base will get you to 1000, it will be near the limit of its adjustment. Most folks agree that it is best to keep your scope as centered as possible. A 20MOA base for example will get you to 1000 with room to spare. A great steel base for the money is the EGW or TPS.

If my understanding is anyhwere near correct, you are going be shooting 300 magnum with a very high BC bullet. Me things you will get to the magic 1000 yards with ease. folks have taken 300 magnums to one mile shooting at steal.

2 quick questions. I am new to the board and trying to learn as much as possible, so please bear with my ignorance.

I recently purchased a Remington Sendero SF2 (300 Ultra) with a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 w/ M1 elevation and windage turrets. Purpose for this purchase was to be a good all-around big game gun (deer, elk, moose, etc) Figure on shooting 200g SMK or Accubonds.

I have not purchased rings or bases yet because the scope is being made at Leupold's Custom Shop in the next 4-6 weeks. My 2 questions are:

1. With the current rifle and scope, can I get out to 1000 yards?
2. Will I need an MOA base to achieve this or can I go with Standard Bases?

All responses are appreciated. Thanks,

1. Yes. With the 208 Amax and the 210 VLD you should require approx 15-20 MOA elevation depending on your environment and the muzzle velocity of the load you settle in on. 10 MOA will have your optic centered at approx 700-800 yards depending on your specific action, scope, and load.

2. No, you will not require it with your current optic. My first choice for a base for your rifle would be a Near Mfg 10 or 20 MOA base. If they are too pricey, then my second would be a Seekins precision 20 MOA base.

Good luck.

Your current scope will easily get you to 1k without a canted base. The previous comments about using a canted base anyway are right on - the canted base keeps you in the optical center of your scope.

Rather than a canted base though, give some consideration to the Burris Signature Rings. They use inserts to cant the scope. They are less expensive than canted bases and since the inserts are plastic, they rarely leave any rings on your scope if you should decide to remove the scope.

I use the Burris Signature Rings and bases on all my rifles....

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-280-updated-32771/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/my-308-1k-rifle-evolution-continues-43510/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f53/nephews-transformed-rifle-53634/

Even with a 4.5 - 14 x 50???

Should I have gotten the 4.5 - 14 x 50 LR instead?
14x will give you enough magnification to shoot targets at 1400 yards. (very doable with a 300 magnum) My current scope on my .308 is a fixed 12x and I have no problem resolving enough detail at 1000 yards to quarter a 1MOA target (ten inch cirlce) in my scope. When it had a variable on I shot 1000 F class matches with it dialed down to 8x and could still see the ten ring. 1x per 100 yards is more than plenty magnification for well aimed shots at targets as small as 1MOA.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.