1000 yard quest is over!

RDM416

Here in Arkansas we have a final three days of rifle season for deer the three days following Christmas. I still have some doe tags left and made it my mission to shoot a doe at 1000+ yards.

I have a long narrow field I use as my shooting range. It is 700 yards from my bench to the opposite end of the field. That field then opens up into another and through a narrow place about 20 yards wide I can shoot up to 1200 yards.

In the evenings deer swarm all over the clover and wheat I have planted in both fields. Since I cannot see what is coming accross my shooting lane before it gets there I had a buddy sit in an elevated box blind about 250 yards to one side of my 1000 yard flag. He ran a video camera and called me on the radio to tell me when a deer was about to cross.

The actual hunt was a little anticlimatic. He called to say a couple of does were headed for my 1000yard flag. I got into position and waited. The doe stopped in my shooting lane slightly quartering to me. I already had my clicks dialed in for 1000 yards and she was just a few feet past my flag. (1007 yards to be exact)

At the shot it looked like a hit to me but I could not tell for sure. My buddy called and said she was hit and had run a couple hundred yards and went into the woods. I came up and we went to where she ran into the woods and spotted her down about 30 yards away.

My bullet, a 250grn SMK fired from a Kirby built .338 Kubla Kahn at 3150fps had impacted just behind the front shoulder and had exited just in front of the off side hip.

I had somewhere I had to go that evening so it was a quick slice and dice and into the icechest she went, so sorry but no pictures. I do have the whole thing on video, but I went through that last year trying to upload video and my ISP would not support a file that large.

Like I said, a little anticlimatic, and maybe I cheated a little since I was sitting at my shooting bench all sandbagged in.......but still a 1000 yards is a 1000 yards!

Nice shooting!!! Like you said 1k is 1k. If the weather will cooperate this weekend Lerch and I are going to give a whirl as well.

Congratulations! Achieving a personal goal is a great way to end the season. I'm sure it has taken a lot of work & practice, but combined with an accurate rifle like your Kahn, I'm sure you will enjoy continued success.

Dave

Congratulations. That is a nice one shot kill. A eastern whitetail is a relatively small target at that kind of a range.
Kirby builds a nice shooting gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.