1000 yard nikon bdc shot with a .308?

countrysniper

Has anyone taken a thousand yard shot with a Nikon bdc on a .308? No I need a 20 moa mount? I'm using a Remington 700 26" bull barrel and a Nikon buckmaster 6-18x40 with 1/8 moa. Any advise will help thanks.

I personally have not but would like to offer my .02 if I could...

I see more shooters/hunters going toward this trend of BDC knobs and the like. I AM NOT SAYING these cannot or will not work under set conditions but I would urge you to develop the skills to use a regular scope ret (milradian or MOA) and marked turrets for adjust your scope. You can find a scope like these for approx the same price as a Nikon.

My reasoning is this... There is a very slim change you will repeatedly shoot with the exact same enviro effects. All which play into overall bullet to target "drop". So lets say one day the cloudes part and the sun raises your ambient temp up 20* with all other factors staying the same (which is rare)

Example:

175 SMK out of a 308 @ say 2600fps
32*
50% hum
200 ft Alt
No wind

sitting at +14.9 mil

Now all same factors accept the temp is now 52* would leave you at +14.4mil

So a difference of .5 mil (98.35 inches) at 1000 meters based on alittle sun!

I dont know about you but it would be disappointing to miss and Elk, Bear ect or even worse just clip them instead of spending alittle more time with platform which will be extremely fruitful for you in many reasons.

Again, I mention this not so much towards the OP but from a fellow shooter who recognizes a trend the does not ulitmately help build a true understanding of the (our) surroundings as responsible shooters and hunters!

Enjoy!

I personally have not but would like to offer my .02 if I could...

I see more shooters/hunters going toward this trend of BDC knobs and the like. I AM NOT SAYING these cannot or will not work under set conditions but I would urge you to develop the skills to use a regular scope ret (milradian or MOA) and marked turrets for adjust your scope. You can find a scope like these for approx the same price as a Nikon.

My reasoning is this... There is a very slim change you will repeatedly shoot with the exact same enviro effects. All which play into overall bullet to target "drop". So lets say one day the cloudes part and the sun raises your ambient temp up 20* with all other factors staying the same (which is rare)

Example:

175 SMK out of a 308 @ say 2600fps
32*
50% hum
200 ft Alt
No wind

sitting at +14.9 mil

Now all same factors accept the temp is now 52* would leave you at +14.4mil

So a difference of .5 mil (98.35 inches) at 1000 meters based on alittle sun!

I dont know about you but it would be disappointing to miss and Elk, Bear ect or even worse just clip them instead of spending alittle more time with platform which will be extremely fruitful for you in many reasons.

Again, I mention this not so much towards the OP but from a fellow shooter who recognizes a trend the does not ulitmately help build a true understanding of the (our) surroundings as responsible shooters and hunters!

Enjoy!

I'm new to this but .5 mil is 18 inches at 1000 yards. 98.5 inches would be extreme for a 20 deg difference in temps.

I do apologize I entered this on my phone and sometimes it "auto corrects" things it shouldn't. Maybe they should name in "auto-INcorrect" lol

The stated distance was @ 1000 meters, not 1000 yards. At 1000meter the impact would be a difference of 19.685" @1000m. I would not hesitate to say that with a 308 that is fairly reasonable. (Granted at 1000m the adv 308 would be at/in/near transonic region dep onon the data supplied.) The larger idea behind this post was simply to bring to light some options that shooters have that may greatly impact their shooting success and desire to go farther into shooting in the future.

Enjoy

Last edited:
OK so a thousand yards might be out of the question. I do have spot on app for my phone. I'm looking at making a thousand yard shot on a 2 foot by 2 foot target just to see if I can do it I was told that most scope will run out of (clicks) before you get a thousand yards.I havnt done the math yet or finished perfecting my hand loads. I don't plan on trying this another on any animals its just for fun.

Ok so I would run the data and see how much elev you need. Then go on nikons website and see how much elev your scope offers you. From your zero you can count clicks til your scope is as elevated as it will go and see if that will get you too 1k. If not go with a 20 moa base and call it good!

Let me know what you come up with.

I will echo what BGE 541 stated about turrets being a better option. A 308 is dropping very steeply at 1000 yards. You need to have good data to make reliable hits at that range, not to mention some skills at reading the wind!

What data do you need? Accurate distance most likely via a quality laser range finder or a gps. Density altitude is pressure altitude corrected for non-standard temps. It is the altitude (aka air density) the bullet thinks it is flying (bullets don't actually think, but sometimes I wish they did!). In general terms; hot temps, low pressure, high altitude, and high humidity produce favorable conditions (high DA) for bullet flight with less drop and less lateral deviation secondary to wind. What does this have to do with mil or moa turrets? You can use a cheap ballistic calculator, a kestrel weather meter, and dial the correct hold for the conditions. This will provide much more consistency across a range of environmental conditions, especially at long range. This is the science of shooting! Of course, this only deals with the drop! You still have to figure out where to hold for wind, this is the art of shooting. Wind is really interesting to try and figure out. It is a skill that requires a lot of patience, practice, and preferably with a good spotter.

Short answer, you may make some hits, you will probably not be very consistent. If you make any hits, it will have probably more to do with the skills of your spotter than your shooting.

Good luck,
TKAB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts